Accessible Document Guides
- Ryerson Library is proud to provide an online tool that performs optical character recognition (OCR) on documents in an effort to improve their accessibility. The OCR tool will convert "non-selectable" text files into machine-readable or recognized text. This will render your document readable by adaptive software such as text-to-speech applications. Non-selectable text or unrecognized text is an impediment to accessibility.
- Prepared by the Learning & Teaching Office. The LTO Best Practices issue "Keeping Course Materials Accessible" focuses on accessibility for documents, multimedia courses, and websites. For more information on D2L accessibility, please view D2L Brightspace Accessibility.
Microsoft Office & Adobe Acrobat Quick Tip Sheets
The following print-friendly tip sheets will help you improve the accessibility of Microsoft Office documents. These tip sheets are applicable to the most recent versions of both Windows and Mac variants of Office.
- The WordPress Accessibility Handbook contains comprehensive information and tools regarding accessibility for developers, theme developers, and content creators.
- This article outlines a comprehensive guide on how to make PowerPoint documents more accessible on the web.
- This comprehensive guide shows you how to create an accessible PDF using the Tags Pane, TouchUp Reading Order tool, and Accessibility Wizard.
- The following article shows you how to export an InDesign document into an accessible PDF. Article also features video tutorials.
- This site can help you create accessible office documents and choose accessible office applications for your organization. The guidance is based primarily on WCAG 2.0.
- If you intend to show or disseminate a video, it should be closed-captioned to ensure accessibility and in support of the universal design for learning approach. Closed captioning is beneficial not only to those with hearing impairments, but also to those for whom an additional textual representation of the verbal and auditory is an important learning support.