|Faculty Career Communities|
|Discover Your Path|
|Resumes, Letters, Online Profiles & Portfolios|
|Gain Work Experience|
|Graduating? What's Next?|
To do, or not to do? Which school and program is the right one? Here are some good — and not-so-good — reasons for pursuing further studies, as well as factors to take into consideration, to help you ensure that you are making a wise decision.
- You have a clear idea of how the additional degree or certificate will help you reach your career goal
- Your chosen career requires further studies (eg. medicine, law)
- You need the extra education to progress in your career
- You are passionate about the subject matter and the advanced degree will provide you with higher skills and knowledge
- You are unsure about what you want to do after you graduate and are using the extra time in school to delay making a decision
- You assume you are not qualified enough because your job search has been unsuccessful so far
- You don’t know if the extra schooling will help you in securing a position
- The education will cost you more than you are likely to be able to earn
Once you make the decision to pursue further education through either graduate school or continuing education courses or certificates, it is time to start the application process.