PhD, University of Toronto
Office: JOR 1040
Telephone: 416.979.5000 ext.6547
Elizabeth Podnieks is an Associate Professor in the Department of English and the Joint Ryerson/York Graduate Program in Communication and Culture. Her teaching and research interests include Modernism, Motherhood Studies, Life Writing, Popular/Celebrity Culture, Scholarly Editing, and Digital Humanities. She has published on a range of figures from Modernists Emily Coleman, Virginia Woolf, Anaïs Nin, and Zelda Fitzgerald to Perez Hilton, Angelina Jolie, and celebrity mom bloggers. She is a member of the Motherhood Initiative for Research and Community Involvement (MIRCI); and is the Area Chair for the Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association’s Motherhood/Fatherhood Area. At present she is working on a monograph about representations of motherhood in modernist auto/biography and journalism; and developing a project to digitize and mark-up papers in the Emily Holmes Coleman archive housed at the University of Delaware Library. She is also editing a collection of scholarly essays entitled Pops in Pop Culture: Fatherhood, Masculinity, and Modern Parenting, contributing a chapter on paternal memoir.
Modernism, Motherhood Studies, Life Writing, Popular/Celebrity Culture, Scholarly Editing, and Digital Humanities.
- “‘Sponges of Secret Sorrows’: Introducing the Stories in Under a Glass Bell.” Introduction. Under a Glass Bell by Anaïs Nin. Swallow Press/Ohio UP. Forthcoming 2014.
- Emily Holmes Coleman. Routledge Encyclopedia of Modernism. Ed Stephen Ross. Forthcoming. Web.
- Rough Draft: The Modernist Diaries of Emily Holmes Coleman, 1929-1937. Ed. Elizabeth Podnieks. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2012.
- Mediating Moms: Mothers in Popular Culture. Ed. Elizabeth Podnieks. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s UP, 2012.
- “Basketball, Skating, and Scholarship: Or How to do Research from the Bench, the Rink, and the Car.” In Academic Motherhood in a Post-Second Wave Context: Challenges, Strategies and Possibilities. Ed. D. Lynn O’Brien Hallstein and Andrea O’Reilly. Toronto: Demeter Press, 2012. 394-413.
- Biography and Motherhood; Celebrity Mothering; Modernism and Mothering; Motherhood and Popular Culture. Encyclopedia of Motherhood (3 Vols). Ed. Andrea O’Reilly. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications, 2010.
- Textual Mothers/ Maternal Texts: Motherhood in Contemporary Women’s Literatures. Ed. Elizabeth Podnieks and Andrea O’Reilly. Waterloo: Wilfrid Laurier UP, 2010.
- Hayford Hall: Hangovers, Erotics, and Modernist Aesthetics. Ed. Elizabeth Podnieks and Sandra Chait. Carbondale: Southern Illinois UP, 2005.
- Daily Modernism: The Literary Diaries of Virginia Woolf, Antonia White, Elizabeth Smart, and Anaïs Nin. Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen’s UP, 2000.