December 6th Memorial
December 6th is Canada's National day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women. Ryerson University holds a December 6th memorial each year in the Quadrangle.
December 6th, 1989 is a day that made feminists out of many women in Canada. It was the day that 14 women (13 of them Engineering students) were gunned down at L'Ecole Polytechnique in Montreal simply because
they were women. The December 6th Memorial Committee was formed out of this tragedy. As a Committee we are committed to ending violence against women and children through education. Every year we hold this
memorial service to mourn not only the 14 who died in Montreal, but all women and children who are victims of violence.
December 6th Memorial
14 Not Forgotten ... 24 years later
END THE VIOLENCE
Friday, DECEMBER 6th
12pm (Noon) – 2:00pm
December 6th Moment of Silence and
Candle Lighting Ceremony
At the December 6th Memorial Sculpture in the East Side of the Quad
Please join us in remembering the 14 women students
who were murdered at Ecole Polytechnique
simply because they were women.
Procession to Pod-250
Aboriginal Opening - Joanne Dallaire, Traditional Counselor
Welcome and RSU Equity Statement - Roshelle Lawrence, Vice President Education
Julia Hanigsberg, Vice President, Administration and Finance
Dr. Imogen R. Coe, Dean, Faculty of Science
Dr. Lamya Amleh, Associate Professor & Program Director/Academic Advisor, Women in Engineering
Pascale Diverlus and Alex Rovetti , Centre for Women and Trans people
A Spoken Word Artist, Jacqlyn Sagna, Ryerson Student
Dec. 6th Purple Ribbons are available for a donation in POD-250 after the ceremony
The December 6th Memorial Committee was formed out of this tragedy. As a Committee we are committed to ending violence against women and children through education. Every year we hold this memorial service to mourn not only the 14 who died in Montreal, but all women and children who are victims of violence.
THE DECEMBER 6TH MEMORIAL COMMITTEE
First Mourn... Then Work for Change
Organized by the December 6th Memorial Committee, The Office of Discrimination and Harassment Prevention, RSU, The Ryerson Women’s Centre, Ryerson Student Services, as well as concerned individuals in the Ryerson Community.
ASL will be provided.
For further information, or to make a donation to the December 6th Memorial Fund please fill out the form below.
- Donate to the Coalition for Gun Control, the organization created following the murder of 14 women at l'Ecole Polytechnique in 1989.GunControl.ca | Controledesarmes.ca
- Support the National Action Plan to End Violence Against Women and Girls called for by the Ontario Association of Interval and Transition Houses, in partnership with the Canadian Federation of University Women. OAITH.ca
- Join the Educate Ambrose campaign to encourage the federal minister responsible for the status of women in Canada to be an advocate for all women's reproductive choices. FQPN.qc.ca
- Join the Child Care Advocacy Association of Canada to support the call for a publicly funded, inclusive, quality, non-profit childcare system in Canada. CCAA.ca | ACPSGE.ca
- Sign and circulate the Native Women's Assocation of Canada's petition calling on the federal government to initiate a commission on missing and murdered Aboriginal women.
- Become a member of CRIAW, the Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women, an organization dedicated to intersectional research practices that recognize the complex and diverse experiences of women. CRIAW-ICREF.ca
Sources: CAUT November 2012 Bulletin A8, Canadian Association of University Teachers