Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex
Ryerson’s Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex is a mixed-used development. This multifunctional hub will house innovative academic space, administrative offices, student accommodations and more. Designed to be a welcoming and inclusive home for living and learning, this development includes a residential tower and an academic and administrative podium.
Serving as a hub for interdisciplinary collaboration, the Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex is a catalyst for innovation and excellence for sustainable building practices and city-building. The building features a holistic approach to health and wellness, fulfilling the goal of creating connections for a healthy city.
|Architect and LEED consultant||external,Perkins + Will Canada|
|Construction manager||external,Eastern Construction Company Ltd.|
|Accessibility (AODA) consultant||external,Accessibility Advantage|
|Civil and transportation||external,MMM Group|
|Commissioning agents||external,MMM Group and external,CES Engineering|
|Electrical||external,Crossey Engineering Ltd.|
|Environmental and geotechnical consultant||external,SPL Consultants Ltd.|
|Furniture and equipment procurement||external,EPA Ltd.|
|IT, AV and security||external,Mulvey & Banani International Inc.|
|Land surveyor||external,Speight Van Nostrand|
|Legal||external,McCarthy Tetrault LLP|
|Lifecycle cost consultant||external,Turner and Townsend cm2r Inc.|
|Mechanical||external,MCW Consultants Ltd.|
|Municipal planning consultant||external,Gladki Planning Associates|
|Structural||external,WSP Canada Inc.|
|Work planning, process and scheduling||external,Stantec Consultants|
Gross floor area: 30,900 m2 (332,604 square feet)
Building height: 33 floors (29 above-ground, 4 below-ground)
Academic, classroom and program space: 8 floors, 16,145 m2 (173,783 square feet)
Residence space: 18 floors, 11,376 m2 (122,450 square feet), 100 units
Residence capacity: 332 students
Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing
School of Nutrition
School of Occupational and Public Health
Fabrication Zone Space
155 below-grade spots, including electric charging stations
184 bicycle spots
The Vision Statement and Guiding Principles guide and inform the design process, ensuring that decision-making reflects key aspirations of the entire Ryerson community.
Creating connections for a healthy city.
Identity: A hub for interdisciplinary collaboration, celebrating a holistic approach to health and wellness.
Experience: A welcoming and inclusive home for new communities of living and learning.
Legacy: A catalyst for innovation and excellence, transforming education and the city.
- Inclusivity: At the Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex, accessibility will be seamless, beautiful and inclusive.
- Student experience: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will foster the development of students and residents as responsible, caring and professional global citizens.
- Sustainability: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will be a living lab, teaching through interaction and celebrating the connections between sustainability and health.
- Pedagogy: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will promote collaborative, transformative learning experiences, accommodating the full range of future pedagogical models.
- Civic identity: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will be a building that cares for its neighbourhood, its community and its city.
- Public realm: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will bring animation, activity, and safety to the street and will extend an exciting public realm throughout the building.
- Flexibility: Each space at the Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will accommodate multiple uses and the building will accommodate multiple futures.
- Collaboration: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will be built around a network of shared public spaces that offer frequent, varied opportunities for interaction and collaboration.
- Innovation: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will embody Ryerson’s culture of entrepreneurship and innovation.