Information Access and Privacy
About the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act ("FIPPA")
FIPPA is provincial legislation that has applied to Ontario universities, including Ryerson University ("Ryerson) since June 10, 2006. FIPPA is composed of two principles of equal weight:
- Transparency: Access to information is an essential value
- Privacy: Personal information and privacy must be protected and doing so is integral to the dignity and the integrity of the individual
FIPPA applies to any records in Ryerson's custody or control. Certain records are excluded from FIPPA including:
- Private donations to Ryerson's archives
- Labour relations and employment-related records leading to agreements
- Research and teaching materials
- Records not in the custody or control of Ryerson
There are specific exemptions to the obligation to disclose records, for example:
- Personal information
- Closed meetings
- Solicitor-client documents
- Economic and other interests of Ryerson
- Third-party information
- Advice and recommendations
- Danger to health and safety
- Publicly-available documents
- Law enforcement
- Relations with governments
FIPPA contains particular requirements for the collection, use, protection and disclosure of personal information. Individuals have the right to ask for your own personal information and to request a correction of records containing your own personal information.
Recordkeeping Amendments to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act ("FIPPA")
effective January 1, 2016
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act ("FIPPA") was recently amended to ensure that institutions have measures in place to preserve records. Ryerson University does have measures in place; namely, a Records Management Policy, Procedure and Records Retention Schedule.
Please note, it is now an offence to alter, conceal or destroy a record with the intent of denying a right of access to the record. Intentional destruction of institutional records may result in a fine and legal proceedings.
The following resources are available to assist you with your records management:
- Ontario’s Information and Privacy Commissioner’s IPC Digest, “external,FIPPA and MFIPPA: The Recordkeeping Amendments”;
- GCBS’ “PDF fileNEW: FIPPA Amendments (2014) Require Good Records Management Practices – Guidance for Faculty and Staff ”;
- Ryerson’s external,Records Management Policy, external,Procedure and Records Retention Schedule (RRS); and,
- GCBS’ Records Management Workshops to get practical advice on building records management into your administrative practices.