Applying for Admission
Application Deadline for Fall 2018 admissions
We appreciate your interest in Ryerson University’s PhD in Policy Studies. For admission in Fall 2018, the priority-of-consideration deadline for this program is December 11, 2017.
The Policy Studies Program recommends that you submit your application by the deadline in order to recieve priority consideration for entrance scholarships, including Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS). Only applications deemed complete will be forwarded by the Yeates School of Graduate Studies (YSGS) to our program’s admissions committee.
After the deadline date, applications will still be considered. However, as soon as the program is full, YSGS will post a notice on its main admissions website stating that the application process for Fall 2018 is closed for this program.
For further information on deadline dates, English language proficiency requirements and the online application, please the Graduate Admissions Office website at www.ryerson.ca/graduate/admissions.
Minimum Academic Requirement
- Completion of master's level degree in a social sciences discipline (or equivalent).
- Minimum GPA of 3.33 / 4.33 (B+), or equivalent, in the last two years of study.
The ideal advanced student for this program will have a strong, demonstrated capacity to undertake advanced study in policy-related fields, with a high level of accomplishment in their Master's level study.
Program Specific Documents
In addition to the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School at Ryerson, the PhD in Policy Studies program requires the following materials:
You are required to submit a brief statement of interest (3-4 pages; 1,400 -2,000 words) that should address the following:
- the field of specialization you would like to pursue; the Social Policy field, the Immigration, Settlement and Diaspora Policies field, or the Public Policy and Administration field (please include this information in a single line at the top of the page).
- your research interests/topic and discussion of significance of topic area to your selected field.
- how prior studies/interests/experiences have led to research interests in policy studies.
- how your previous studies and experience have prepared you for the program.
- an explanation of why your research topic is best suited to an interdisciplinary program.
- your career objectives and how the PhD program will advance them.
- you can also mention up to four or five possible supervisors with whom you might be interested in working.
- experience with research and methodology.
- any aspects of your application that you want to explain or elaborate on.
Include a sample of your written work (no more than 30 pages) with your application. Be sure to include your name. If possible, this writing sample should relate to your research interests/policy studies.
Please submit an updated CV/résumé and highlight in your statement of interest how your previous studies and experiences have prepared you for graduate study at Ryerson University.
Three Letters of Recommendation are required for each application. The three recommendations should be from academic referees – former professors or research supervisors familiar with applicant’s abilities.
More information and applications forms for admissions can be found at: School of Graduate Studies Admissions.