Along with several other offices around campus, the Program in Communication and Culture has limited funding to support Grad Student Professional Development, primarily used for travel to academic conferences, especially for doctoral students. The Program budget runs May through April annually. Students should submit requests by e-mail directly to the Program Director, copying the Program Administrator. Requests can be submitted at any time throughout the year.
Funds are limited and we cannot guarantee support. Priority will be given to doctoral students who did not previously receive support in the current year (since May). When requests exceed resources, applications may be assessed by the Program scholarship committee for research quality and academic benefit to the student (i.e. fit with research project, and prestige of the event).
We will confirm whether we can support you, and the amount, as soon as possible after your request is submitted, so that you can proceed to apply for matching funds from other sources.
SUBMIT via e-mail to the Program Director and Program Administrator copies of the following:
- Your Name and the Date, Location, and name of the Conference (or workshop), including a website link to the schedule if available, otherwise to the Call for Papers.
- A brief (100 word) rationale explaining the importance of this event in relation to your program of study.
- Your Supervisor’s contact info, or the name of a Program prof as a reference for new students.
- The Title and Abstract of your presentation (or a rationale for the workshop if it’s not to present a paper).
- A Copy of the Correspondence confirming your Acceptance as a presenter (or participant if it’s a workshop).
- A Budget indicating realistic expenses, the amount requested from the ComCult Program, and the amount expected and requested from other sources on and off campus.
You should apply well in advance of the event, before you book your travel. Unfortunately, we cannot provide advance funding, and you must plan reimbursement after you return from the event.