80 Emergency Telephone Services
What is the 80 Emergency line and what does it do?
- The 80 Emergency line is a direct line to Security and Emergency Services. This line identifies the location of the telephone as well as the extension and or payphone used on campus. This will aid Security and Emergency Services in locating the caller during emergency situations.
- This line has a distinctive ring and is always answered in priority over other non-emergency calls.
When should I dial 80?
- Dial 80 during an emergency where people and/or property are at immediate risk, or to report a suspicious person or crime in progress.
Where can I dial 80 on campus?
- The 80 Emergency line can be dialed from any internal phone on campus by dialing 80.
- On all Bell Canada pay telephones there are two buttons that are directly linked to the main Security and Emergency Services desk. The RED "EMERGENCY" button located under the telephone receiver is an 80 Emergency line to Security and Emergency Services. The YELLOW button is for the Ryerson Security Walk and Watch program.
- There are seven emergency blue phones that are located outside around campus. These phones have an emergency button and a general information button as well.
- All calls made from any of the above phones are free.
What can I do to help 80 help me?
- Remain calm and speak clearly. Identify the type of emergency. Give detailed information about the emergency and remain on the phone as long as your safety is not at risk. This will allow Security and Emergency Services to know where you are as emergency services (security, police, fire or ambulance) respond. By continuing to give detailed information security can notify emergency services en route and update them on the current situation.
What happens if I dial 80 by mistake?
- If you dial 80 by mistake, stay on the phone and advise the main Security and Emergency Services desk of the mistake. The main Security and Emergency Services desk officer will dispatch Security Officers even though the call was placed in error. This ensures that the person calling is safe regardless of what they say.
What if I need to reach security, but it is not an emergency?
- For all non-emergency related calls please call 979-5040 or press the yellow button on the Bell Canada payphones.
If you have any comments or concerns please feel free to contact Security and Emergency Services.