The Wellesley Hospital in Toronto was founded by Dr. Herbert A Bruce in 1912 in the former Frederick Nicholls residence at “Homewood Place” on the north side of Wellesley Street East opposite Homewood Ave.
The original 84 beds expanded over the years to over 600 beds in the ’80’s.
In 1999, the hospital at 160 Wellesley St. E. was closed due to the Ontario government’s province wide hospital downsizing and restructuring.
Wellesley is the family name of the Duke of Wellington. Dr. Bruce obtained permission from the duke to use the crest from the family’s coat of arms for the hospital. The lion rampant and ﬂying pennant on the coat of arms with the motto inscribed by Dr. Bruce - ‘Jamais sans Esperance’ -- Never without Hope, was a brave crest for the new hospital. It also made a very special graduation pin for Wellesley trained nurses.