Other Supports on Campus....

Depending on the nature of your concern we may refer you to other relevant offices on campus. For issues involving the Ontario Human Rights Code (i.e. discrimination on the basis of: race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, same-sex partnership status, family status or disability) for example, you may want to contact Discrimination and Harassment Prevention Services. Other offices are listed below.

Also note that the Ombudsperson cannot make University policy or replace established legislative, judicial or administrative rules or procedures. However, the Ombudsperson may comment on and make recommendations for change in Ryerson policy, practice or procedures.


There are a number of organizations/services on campus that provide academic and non-academic assistance to students including:

Access Centre
Serving students with learning, psychological and physical disabilities.

Career Centre
Advice and resources on jobs, resumes and careers.

Centre for Student Development and Counselling
Academic, career and personal counselling as well as crisis support.

Continuing Education Student Association (CESAR)
CESAR advocates on behalf of students in part-time degree programs, certificate studies and continuing education courses. The Student Rights Coordinator (Student Advocate) can be reached at: (416) 979-5000, ext. 7056, or studentrights@mycesar.ca

Discrimination and Harassment Prevention Services (DHPS)
Works with members of the Ryerson community to promote a study, work and living environment free of discrimination and harassment. The Office administers Ryerson's Discrimination and Harassment Prevention Policy and Procedures which is based on the Ontario Human Rights Code which provides that every person has the right to equal treatment without discrimination on the basis of: race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, same-sex partnership status, family status, disability.

Emergency Housing (Ryerson Safe House)
Provides support and shelter for students facing a crisis in housing or at home.

Financial Assistance
Student loans (OSAP), bursaries and awards.

Health Centre
On campus medical clinic.

Housing Services
Runs on-campus residences and off-campus housing registry.

Learning Success Centre
Free learning skills seminars as well as learning support. Links to the Tutor Registry and on-line resources and interactive tools for students

Lost Items
Lost items may be turned in or retrieved from the front desk of the Student Campus Centre.

RSU (Ryerson Student Union)
Offers students in full-time undergraduate and graduate programs support for appeals and complaints, including access to a Student Advocate. The current RSU Student Advocate is Lyndall Musselman: advocacy@rsuonline.ca  tel: 416.979.5255 ext. 1.2322. Free legal counselling and advice is available through RSU Legal Advocacy Services.

RSU also operates various services including: the Community Food Room (open to the community); Rye-Pride; Rye-Access; the Women's Centre and the Working Students' Centre

Student Services
A variety of support services and resources are offered to Ryerson students, including:

Aboriginal Student Services - welcoming First Nations students to campus

International Student Services (ISS) - support services for registered International Students and promoting international awareness to the Ryerson community

Tri-mentoring Program - for culturally and linguistically diverse students or students who are the first in their families to attend university

Writing Centre - offers students free one-on-one help with writing problems. There is also assistance for English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) students.


Are there any helpful off-campus services?

YES! Please see our page on Off-Campus Services.

If you can't find the service you were looking for on our website feel free to contact the Ombuds Office and we can try to find an appropriate referral.






Ombudsperson Home

Who we are

How we can help

Annual Reports

Where else to go for help



Academic Appeals

Academic Misconduct


ADR Resources



Dropping Classes/ Withdrawing from Programs


Forms, Documents & Policies

Group Work

Missed Exams/Classes

Standings& Reinstatement

Troubleshooting Tips!!!

U201 Seminars
Are you on probation, RTW withdrawn or considering an academic appeal??

Page updated April 29, 2014 by Heather McGhee Peggs.