The purpose of this policy is to specify the signing authorities required for various types of purchases and expense reimbursements. This policy formally complies with the Broader Public Sector Procurement and Expense Directives (Bill 122) which require that the University establish an Approval Authority Schedule for procurement of goods and services, approved by the Board of Governors.
An Approval Authority Schedule defines who within the organization has responsibility for the procurement of goods and services at different dollar thresholds.
This policy applies to the procurement for goods and services for business related for the University. It applies to all faculty and staff.
This policy addresses the Expense Reimbursement authority approvals required by law.
- “Approver” – means an individual is authorized to approve a purchase/ expense reimbursement for the total spend amount (normally one level up unless otherwise delegated).
- “Delegate” means to give someone the power to act, make decisions, or allocate resources on your behalf.
- “Delegated Individual” means a University employee with delegated authority in accordance with this policy.
- “Expense” – means a valid university related business expense supported by original receipts dated and detailing the item and the total amount.
- “Purchase” – means the purchase of all goods and services for University related business and University Departments are to follow Ryerson’s Purchasing Policy and Procedures.
- “University” means Ryerson University.
- “Up any number of levels” means a position to whom the delegator, or the delegator’s manager, reports.
The Approval Authority Schedule establishes the authority that is required for each functional procurement role, to approve procurements of goods and services, both consulting and non-consulting, at different dollar thresholds. It also establishes the authority approval that is required for approving expense reimbursements (including Travel and Business Meals).
- Table #1 – Authority Approval Schedule – Purchase of Goods and Professional Services – Non-consulting Services
- Table #2 – Authority Approval Schedule – Purchase of Consulting Services
- Table #3 – Authority Approval Schedule – Expense Reimbursement
1. The purchase of goods and professional services must adhere to the Ryerson Purchasing Policy and Procedure. The Approval Authority Schedule for iProcurement purchases initiated by the Department requisitioner is a pre-established hierarchy of approvals in the University’s financial system and is dependent on the total dollar spend unless otherwise delegated.
2. The purchasing policy language for procuring consulting service quotations must be closely observed as approval is required regardless of dollar spend.
3. Research Funding Agency (NSERC, SSHRC, etc) purchase requisitions must be approved by the Vice President, Research and Innovation or Designated Individual. The Funding Agency policy takes precedence over this policy.
This policy falls under the jurisdiction of the Vice President, Administration and Finance. The interpretation and application of this policy is the responsibility of the Chief Financial Officer. The Budget Authority is as approved by the Board of Governors or granting agency and/or as delegated by the President.
VIII. Next Review Date
This policy is subject to review every three (3) years.