Occupational and Public Health: Public Health and Safety (BASc)
Part of the Faculty of Community Services
- Full-Time, Four-Year Regular
- Full-Time, Five-Year Co-op
- Full-Time, Two-Year Option for University Graduates
Degree Earned: Bachelor of Applied Science
Ontario Secondary School Students:
2017 Grade Range for Admission / Wait List Consideration: 70-73%*
Canada is safer and healthier than ever before, thanks in large part to public health and safety professionals. Ryerson graduates working in this progressive field help prevent injury and illness by anticipating, evaluating and controlling physical, biological, chemical and other hazards in the community. Drawing on their specialized knowledge, they help develop and implement initiatives that improve health, safety, and well-being in a range of settings that are accessed by the public.
This program selects students on the basis of academic achievement/grades only. Additional non-academic requirements are not required for admission consideration.
Thinking of applying? Make sure the program is still accepting applications.
*Actual minimum grade ranges required for Fall 2018 admission/wait list consideration will be determined based on grades and qualifications presented by the applicant pool as they become available. Required grade ranges may fluctuate from year to year (up or down) as a result of competition. Applicants not educated in Ontario may present the equivalent of the Ontario requirements. Ryerson reserves the right to determine equivalency at its sole discretion.
Tuition and Fees
Domestic Fees Range: $7,478 - $8,054
International Fees Range: $24,731 - $24,763
For detailed fees information visit Fees by Program.
Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent with a minimum of six Grade 12 U or M courses including the following program specific requirements.
Typically, a minimum overall average of 70% establishes eligibility for admission consideration; subject to competition individual programs may require higher pre-requisite grades and/or higher overall averages:
- English/Anglais (ENG4U/EAE4U preferred)
- One of: Chemistry (SCH4U) or Biology (SBI4U)
- The minimum grade(s) required in the subject prerequisites (normally in the 60-70% range) will be determined subject to competition.
Note: Applicants with a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university will not be considered for admission to the four-year degree program.
Academic admission requirements for all other applicants are available at:
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university including three (lower or upper level) Liberal Studies courses.
- Applicants whose degree does not include credit for at least one course in each of chemistry and microbiology will be required to successfully pass CHY 104 and/or ENH 222 before beginning the third semester of the option.
- Applicants who cannot demonstrate at least three liberal studies courses (either lower or upper level) during their previous university experience, will be required to take additional courses before graduation to bring their total liberal studies to at least three single-term courses (or equivalent).
- In addition, successful candidates may apply for up to seven single-term transfer credits based on their previous university studies.