Skip to main content
Students Faculty & Staff Partner Institutions Contact Us Ryerson International

Ryerson International

Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
 Change Text Size 


Exchange Program


* For TRSM, FCAD and Faculty of Arts, please visit your home faculty's website for further instructions regarding the application process and contact your exchange coordinator for more details. 

1. What is a formal exchange?

A formal exchange can take place when a signed exchange agreement exists between institutions. This allows selected students to exchange between Ryerson and the partner university. Exchange students remain registered at their home university while on exchange. This means that they pay tuition as usual to their home university and do not have to apply for re-admission when they return.

2. Which students can participate in an exchange?

Some exchanges are only open to specific schools or faculties. Others are university-wide, meaning any student can apply for the exchange, provided the partner university offers a good match for their Ryerson program. See the list of exchanges for a full list of current exchanges and eligible departments. For more information on each of the partner institutions, please see our Partner Schools Information page.

Exchange places are highly competitive. You must also meet certain eligibility requirements before being allowed to participate. Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 with a clear academic standing and remain so until their departure date. Contact your department's exchange contact to get details of the application process for your area.

To apply for the program, complete the Exchange Online Application Form.

3. Studying at universities without a formal exchange agreement

Signing new exchange agreements can take over a year as we want to ensure that all students involved will have the best possible experience. If you are interested in attending a university that does not have an official exchange with Ryerson, see the study abroad section for more details.

4. Overseas courses

Depending on the agreement, exchanges last one term or as long as an entire academic year. All exchange students must meet with their Ryerson advisor before to leaving to determine a suitable course load at their host university. Exchange students enrol in a full-time course load, as determined by the host university and Ryerson.

Students are expected to return to Ryerson to complete their degrees. 'Pass' credits will be granted for Ryerson approved courses successfully completed at the host university. Some official exchanges (such as Applied Geography) assign grades to courses taken overseas.

5. Costs

a) Tuition: Exchange students pay tuition fees (full course load) to Ryerson, subject to the established methods, payment deadlines and service charges, as would be normal if the student was spending the academic session at Ryerson. Students are responsible for all other expenses such as books, stationery, laboratory equipment, etc.

b) Accommodation: The majority of the exchange agreements require students to be responsible for finding their own accommodation. However, some of the partner universities have their own residence hall accommodations with associated costs.

c) Travel: Students are responsible for their own health insurance, travel expenses, and arrangements.

6. Important Financial Considerations

  • If you receive student loans, check with the Financial Aid and Awards Office before applying for exchange. While all exchanges are approved by the Financial Aid Office, the difference in start and end dates can sometimes result in a reduction in student loans.
  • Likewise, if you receive a scholarship or bursary, check with the Financial Aid and Awards Office before applying for exchange to make sure your payment amount will not be affected.
  • Some awards and bursaries are available for students who study abroad. However, none of these will finance your trip. Ensure that you have proper financing in place before seriously pursing an international experience


List of Exchanges

Each of our exchange partners is linked with specific schools or faculties at Ryerson. Click on the link for your faculty to see which exchanges are currently open to your area.

For detailed write ups on our partner institutions from a Ryerson perspective, click here .

Ontario-Wide Agreements

Ryerson is now a member institution of the Ontario/Jiangsu (OJS), Ontario/Rhone-Alpes (ORA), Ontario/Baden Wurttemburg (OBW)and Ontario/Maharashtra Goa (OMG) agreements, allowing students to study in China, France, Germany or India. The programs offered include both full semester and summer options, with possibilities for scholarships. For more information on these programs, please follow the links below.

You will have to consult carefully with your program administrator to determine how you might use courses from one of the participating French, German or Indian universities towards your particular degree program. Not all students will be able to fit such a program into the standard four years, and may need to take an extra term (or two) to finish their degree.

China - Ontario/Jiangsu

France - Ontario/Rhone Alpes 

Germany - Ontario/Baden Wurttemburg 

India - Ontario/Maharashtra Goa

The deadline to apply for all OUI programs is the same stated above for the general exchange program: Tuesday January 31st, 2016. OUI semester long exchange applications should be submitted to your faculty/program specific exchange coordinator.

Applications for the summer programs should be submitted directly to Ryerson International, to the attention of Emma Wright, Student Mobility Officer.

If, once you have consulted the websites above, you have further questions on participation in these programs please contact