Skip to main content


Your full-time or part time status is not determined by the part-time or full-time program you are enrolled in at Ryerson. In order to be considered a full-time student for the purposes of receiving OSAP funding, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be enrolled in an OSAP eligible degree program or OSAP eligible certificate.
  • You must be enrolled in a minimum of 3 billing units (per term) for at least 12 weeks. This is considered a 60% course load.
  • If you self-identify as a student with a Permanent Disability you must be enrolled in a minimum of 2 billing units for at least 12 weeks. This is considered a 40% course load. Students who self-identify will be required to complete the necessary steps in order to substantiate their Permanent Disability.

Undergraduate students can use their Ryerson Calendar to verify the number of billing units for each of the courses. You can also review your RAMSS account to determine how many billing units you are enrolled in.

Step 1: Check your Eligibility

Once you have determined the number of billing units you plan to take, you are also required to meeting the following criteria. You must:

  • be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have protected person status; international students are ineligible.
  • be an Ontario resident. This means that Ontario is the last province that you have lived in for at least 12 consecutive months without attending full-time postsecondary school.
  • verify that your program is approved for OSAP. You can verify if your program is eligible by visiting the OSAP website.
  • be neither in default on a previous OSAP student loan nor on OSAP restrictions.
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress while receiving OSAP aid.
  • have demonstrated financial need as calculated by the government. Gross family income as well as student resources and assets are taken into consideration.

Your OSAP eligibility may be affected by the following factors:

  • Dropping courses.
  • Dropping to part-time status during the year.
  • Withdrawing from your program.
  • Increases in your income, awards or other resources.
  • Reporting incorrect income information (student, parents or spouse) on your original application.
  • Receiving more OSAP aid than you were entitled to.
  • Failing courses.

In order to remain eligible for OSAP, the government expects you to successfully complete and pass your courses. Frequent or multiple program switches, course drops, withdrawals or repeats of courses funded by OSAP indicate a lack of academic progress and could result in academic probation or restrictions.

The government’s minimum requirement to maintain satisfactory academic progression throughout your studies means passing grades in at least 60% of your courses (40% for students with a Permanent Disability during one study period.

If you have concerns about your academic performance please send an email to or visit the ServiceHub at POD150 with a valid Canadian, government-issued photo ID.

Step 2: Apply Online and Submit Your Documents

The full-time OSAP application is completed primarily online. As part of the online application you will be required to use the upload process to submit your supporting documentation. Please note that your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) must not be submitted to Ryerson directly. More instructions are outlined in the next step.

Step 3: Submit Your Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA)

After you complete your OSAP application for the first time, you will need to print your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA). This lifetime loan agreement outlines the terms, conditions, and responsibilities of the student loan borrower, and will apply to your entire continuing full-time post-secondary studies. The MSFAA only needs to be submitted once, however your funding cannot be released until you have done so. Do not send your MSFAA to Ryerson University!

Complete and sign the MSFAA, then take it to any participating Canada Post outlet in your area. It is important to note that not all Canada Post outlets will accept the MSFAA. For a list of participating outlets please visit:

When the completed MSFAA is received by the National Student Loan Service Centre (NSLSC), they will electronically notify the government.

Learn more about the MSFAA at

Step 4: Check Your Application Status

You can check the status of your OSAP application at any time by logging in to your OSAP online account. Information regarding your application status will be available online on an ongoing basis. You can also find information about processing timelines on the Student Financial Assistance homepage.

Step 5: Receive Your Funds

On your OSAP application, you will be asked whether you want your funding sent directly to Ryerson University. In the fall/winter, OSAP aid is released in two instalments: once in September (60% of funds) and once in January (40% of funds). Students who apply for OSAP for one term only, receive one installment, at the start of that term.

When you receive any Canada Student Loan or Ontario Student Loan, you assume the following responsibilities:

  • Agree to use this loan assistance to pay your academic fees to Ryerson University first and then to cover any other educational and living expenses related to your studies.
  • To make appropriate repayment arrangements with your lender when you cease full-time studies.
  • To promptly advise our office of any changes if:
    • You reduce your course load
    • You change your program of study
    • You fail to progress academically
    • You withdraw from your studies
    • There is a change in your marital status
    • Your (or your family’s) financial situation changes
Step 6: Repaying Your Loan or Continuing on Interest-Free Status

When your studies come to an end, you will be contacted by the National Student Loan Service, also known as CanLearn, to begin the repayment of your loans.

To estimate your loan repayment, use the online OSAP Repayment Calculator.

For a video on loan repayments, visit the OSAP website.

If you are a full-time student and are not taking OSAP you must, submit a PDFContinuation of Interest Free Status Form at the start of each term to the ServiceHub at POD150.

You are required to report any changes made to your OSAP status.

Submit the PDFInformation Change Form to report any of the following changes:

  • You reduce your course load
  • You change your program of study
  • You fail to progress academically
  • You withdraw from your studies
  • There is a change in your marital status

Submit the PDFIncome Change Form to report income changes, such as:

  • Your (or your family’s) financial situation changes

Email if you have more questions.