Once you have determined the number of billing units you plan to take, you are required to meet the following criteria. You must:
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have protected person status; international students are ineligible.
- be an Ontario resident. This means that Ontario is the last province that you have lived in for at least 12 consecutive months without attending full-time postsecondary school.
- verify that your program is approved for OSAP.
- be neither in default on a previous OSAP student loan nor on OSAP restrictions.
- maintain satisfactory OSAP academic progress while receiving OSAP aid.
- have demonstrated financial need as calculated by the government.
Your OSAP eligibility may be affected by the following factors:
- Dropping courses.
- Adding courses which changes you to full-time status during the year.
- Withdrawing from your program.
- Failing courses.
In order to remain eligible for OSAP, the government expects you to successfully complete and pass your courses. Frequent or multiple program switches, course drops, withdrawals or repeats of courses indicate a lack of academic progress and direction.