The SMART lab is an interdisciplinary research team concerned with questions at the intersection of mind, music and technology. Our research is rooted in the rapidly emerging field of music cognition but it also branches out to connect with complementary work in the fields of hearing science, human factors, and assistive/rehabilitative technology. Here are just a few of the questions we are currently investigating:
- How do movement and mimicry contribute to vocal emotional communication?
- What aspects of music and speech can be experienced through vibro-tactile stimulation?
- How can music be used to induce and regulate emotion?
- How does the urban soundscape influence our perception, mood and behavior?
- Can we improve music information retrieval by incorporating relevant findings from music cognition?