Skip to main content

The Student Conduct Office is part of the Office of Vice-Provost, Students portfolio. It is currently staffed by Mark Atia, the Student Conduct Officer for the University.

The Student Conduct Officer:

  • administers the Student Code of Non-Academic Conduct
  • provides advice to faculty, staff and students concerned about the behaviour of a student, disruptive classroom conduct, etc.
  • presents services offered by the Office at departmental meetings, in classes and at orientation events
  • chairs a multi-disciplinary Assessment Of Behavioural Risk Team (ABRT) . The team provides guidance for long-term management of a student who threatens or causes harm to another person.
  • Concerns and inquiries regarding academic integrity and misconduct should be directed to the Academic Integrity Officer
  1. If you run into difficulties
  2. Student Code of Non-Academic Conduct a. What type of behaviour is classified as non-academic misconduct? b. Can I file a complaint under the Code? c. Steps for filing a complaint d. What happens once the complaint is filed?
  3. Consultation with the Student Conduct Officer


If you run into difficulties

If you run into difficulties, it is essential that you deal with the situation as soon as possible, particularly situations which affect your academic performance. Unresolved problems generally get worse, and, in some cases, there are specific deadlines within which certain types of concerns must be addressed.

If you have a concern or complaint about a non-academic matter, there are two paths you can take.

If the complaint pertains to another student, contact: 

  1. The individual student directly
  2. A faculty member or student services support person
  3. The Student Conduct Officer
  4. The Vice-Provost, Students

If the complaint pertains to a faculty or staff member, contact: 

  1. The individual staff member involved
  2. The chair of the Department OR the supervisor/manager of the work unit
  3. The Dean of the Faculty
  4. The Vice-Provost, Students or Vice Provost, Faculty Affairs
  5. The Ombudsperson

Your first step in resolving a matter is to consult your Department/School handbook, the University calendar, and any pertinent policies. All Ryerson academic policies are available here.

If you are not sure how to deal with a non-academic concern, ask for advice. You can seek advice from:

Student Conduct Officer
 (for non-academic matters involving another student) 
Location: Lower Podium Building, POD63E 
Phone: (416) 979-5000, ext. 2741 

Discrimination and Harassment Prevention Services
 (for concerns regarding discrimination and/or harassment based on prohibited grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code)

(website) | (e-mail)
Location: Podium Building, POD 254A
Phone: (416) 979-5349 

Ryerson Student Union (RSU) Student Issues and Advocacy Coordinator
(website) | (e-mail)
Location: Student Campus Centre, SCC 311 
Phone: (416) 979-5255, ext. 2322 

Continuing Education Students Association of Ryerson (CESAR) Student Rights Coordinator
(website) | (e-mail)
Location: Student Campus Centre, SCC 311 
Phone: 416-979-5000, ext. 7716 

Office of the Ombudsperson
(website) | (e-mail)
Location: Oakham House, second floor 
Phone: 416-979-5000, ext. 7450 

When dealing with a matter, checking your Ryerson e-mail account frequently is of utmost importance. All formal communication from the University will be sent exclusively to your Ryerson e-mail account.



Student Code of Non-Academic Conduct

The Student Code of Non-Academic Conduct (the "Code") outlines, in a non-exhaustive manner, actions which the University considers to be non-academic misconduct offences. The Code applies to students only. A full text version can be accessed here.

What type of behaviour is classified as non-academic misconduct?

Below are some examples of offences covered under the Code. Please see section C of the Code for more information and definitions of offences.

  • Disruption of learning and teaching
  • Theft, damage, and destruction of property
  • Misuse of facilities, equipment, materials or services
  • Misconduct related to the use of alcohol/drugs
  • Discrimination and harassment

In addition, your program department may have special rules or policies regarding, for example, student placements or use of studios and/or labs. Check with your department for policies set at that level.

Can I file a complaint under the Code?

Yes. Any member of the Ryerson community may file a complaint about the non-academic conduct of a student with the Student Conduct Officer, at

Please consult the "Procedures" section of the Code for information on the complaints process.

Steps for filing a complaint

If you decide to lodge a complaint about a student's behaviour, it must be submitted in writing to the Student Conduct Officer. The complaint letter should include the following information:

  • Full name of the student against whom the complaint is filed;
  • A description of the misconduct, including the date, time and place of the occurrence;
  • Names of witnesses, an explanation of what they observed, and how to reach them;
  • Supporting documentation/evidence of the misconduct, including any documentation of meetings with the student regarding prior misconduct; and
  • Your name and contact information.

What happens once the complaint is filed?

All complaints must proceed in accordance with the principles of fairness, due process and natural justice. The following steps are taken:

  1. Review of the complaint - The Student Conduct Officer must first determine whether there is sufficient information to support a Code violation, and whether the conduct is covered under the Code.
  2. Notification and meeting with the student - If the conduct can be addressed under the Code, the Student Conduct Officer will provide the student with a written summary of the allegations and invite the student for a meeting.
  3. Investigation and complaint resolution As part of resolving the concerns, the Student Conduct Officer may speak to witnesses or any other relevant party. If it is determined that there was a breach of the Code, the Student Conduct Officer may resolve the concerns informally (usually, the student has taken accountability for the incident and agrees to a suitable remedy) or formally (the Student Conduct Officer imposes a sanction or remedy under the Code).
  4. Notification of outcome The results of the complaints process and reasons for decision are normally communicated only to the person who made the complaint and the student whose behaviour is the subject of the complaint.

All meetings and correspondence regarding a complaint are confidential. The outcome of the complaint will be communicated to both the complainant and the respondent only.

How long does the complaint resolution process take?

A number of factors influence the length of time it takes to conclude the complaint resolution process. The most significant factors include the student's timely response to official notices. The investigation process moves relatively quickly (1-3 weeks) when the student immediately responds to notices and requests for a meeting.

Can the student still come to class?

Students normally do not lose the right to continue attending class upon being charged with a violation of the Student Conduct Code.

When the alleged violation involves a verified threat of harm to a student, faculty member or another member of the class, every effort will be made to prevent the student from returning to class while the complaint is being reviewed. Faculty members may propose alternate ways that the student's educational interests can be preserved between the time that he/she has been asked not to return to class and the conclusion of the complaint process.

What if I am accused of non-academic misconduct?

If a complaint was submitted to the Student Conduct Officer about you, consult the "Procedures" section of theCode for details on the process.



Consultation with the Student Conduct Officer

Any member of the Ryerson community (faculty, staff or student) can contact the Student Conduct Office at any time to consult about a matter and without lodging a formal complaint.

Concerns can be resolved either formally or informally. The Officer can meet with you and/or the student involved to discuss concerns, outline resolution options available through the office (informal resolution, formal complaints process), provide a referral to another service when necessary, and provide general information on the Student Code of Non-Academic Conduct.

The Student Conduct Officer can be reached via e-mail or by telephone at (416) 979-5000, ext. 2741.