Assistance from International Student Support
As the centre for the non-immigrant community at Ryerson, International Student Support (ISS) is crucial to support international students and international scholars through specialized services and promotion of international awareness at Ryerson.
ISS provides a wide range of services which extend to international students taking courses through the G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education and include the following:
- International Student Orientation
- Status letters for international students regarding immigration, financial and other related needs.
- Immigration advising and services for study permits, work permits, Temporary Resident Visas (TRV), U.S. visas, permanent residence applications and many more.
- Special advising and support concerning spouses and dependants of international students and staff on issues such as health insurance, work permits, and more.
- Information for Permanent Resident (PR) application and specialized Canadian legal services and resources.
- Networking Events: International Welcome Party, special international celebrations, monthly International Lunches, Tea Houses and much more.
- "International Eye" informative, monthly e-newsletter.
- International student mailing list providing updates on immigration policies, events and job opportunities, etc.
- Ryerson International Connections to swap language skills with other students.
- Other personal assistance, advising and referral for issues such as academic, personal, health, social, and anything related to international students' lives at Ryerson in Canada.
- Advocacy and training for cross-cultural understanding and communication.
For more information on immigration and adjusting to life at Ryerson, please contact ISS at 416-979-5000 ext. 6655, email us or visit us in POD-50A to speak with an International Student Advisor.
G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education
Ryerson University's G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education is Canada's leading provider of university-based adult education. The Chang School empowers you to reach your personal and professional goals by enrolling in individual courses or working towards a career-focused certificate or course series.
- We offer a wide range of courses in Arts; Business; Communication and Design; Community Services; Engineering, Architecture, and Science; Gateway for International Professionals; and Seniors? Education.
- Our flexible, accessible programming is available on campus, online via distance education, and off-site for employee groups through Organizational Learning.
- We offer evening and weekend courses, allowing you to continue your education while working full-time.
Gateway for International Professionals
International professionals often come to Canada with experience and credentials that simply aren't recognized here. Funded by the Government of Ontario and the Government of Canada, The Chang School's Gateway for International Professionals programs are helping bridge the gap between education, experience, and employment.
Created in collaboration with industry advisors and regulatory bodies, Gateway programs will help you earn the profession-specific skills needed to enter and advance within your field of expertise, including accounting, dietetics, finance, midwifery, and social work. Since effective communication is integral to the workplace, a Professional Communication for Employment (PCE) program has also been developed to give you the communication and analytical 'soft skills' needed to excel in your industry.
For more information on The Chang School's programs for international professionals, please visit the Gateway for International Professionals website.
Chang School students have access to many of Ryerson's student services and support programs. However, please note that the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP), International Student Identity Card (ISIC), and on- and off-campus employment are not available to international students studying at the Chang School, it is considered as part-time studies.
For information about The Chang School's courses and program offerings, please visit the Chang School's website.
Continuing Education Students' Association of Ryerson (CESAR)
The Continuing Education Students’ Association of Ryerson (CESAR), Local 105 of the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS) is YOUR students’ union. The Executive, Board of Directors and staff work to serve you and improve your student experience by providing you with cost-saving services, advocacy and events. CESAR is a membership driven organisation representing over 16,000 students registered in continuing education and part-time degree courses at Ryerson University.
CESAR members also pool their resources with over 500,000 students across Ontario and Canada through the Canadian Federation of Students to access cost-saving services and advocacy at both the provincial and national levels. By working together with a united voice, we are able to impact the development of post-secondary education policies, increase access, and lobby for reducing tuition fees.
CESAR provides a wide range of services which extend to international students taking courses through the G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education and include the following:
- Orientation and Week of Welcome
- Free In-house Legal Services
- Networking and social events
- CESAR Bursary and CESAR Emergency Grant
- Multi-Faith Room
- Academic Advocacy
- Health & Dental Plan (only available for part-time degree students)
For more information, visit the CESAR website at www.mycesar.ca or visit us in the Student Centre, 55 Gould St., SCC-301. Our office hours are: Monday-Thursday, 11:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. and Fridays, 10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.