Please Note: ELS does not endorce these sites.
- General Sites
- Listening & Speaking Sites
- Presentation Skills
- Pronunciation sites
- Grammar & Vocabulary Sites
- Reading & Writing Sites
- Punctuation Sites
- Test Preparation (IELTS, TOEFL, etc.)
- Apps for mobile phones
- Difficulties in English due to L1
- Country & Cultural Profiles
The following are extensive sites for English language learners at all levels. Sites contain exercises on reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, idioms, slang, business English etc.
- John's ESL Community
- Interesting Things for ESL/EFL Students
- Learn English Feel Good.com
- Agenda Web
- ESL Gold
- The Internet TESL Journal
- Using English
- Marie Nuzzi's ESL page
- Guide to Grammar & Writing
- Interactive Quizzes
- Ohio State University
- Open Education database
- Online Self-Assessment
Free online task-based Listening assessment based on the 12 Canadian Language Benchmarks. This test assesses English language Reading & Listening proficiency on a scale of 1~9 (i.e. Beginner~Advanced)
- Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab
Listening lab style workshops - requires media player (available free)
Listening Quizzes at various levels of difficulty
Listening Quizzes for Academic purposes
English-language Learning: Listening to Academic Lectures (Advanced level)
This site has been designed to help you to improve your English-language listening skills, with particular attention to developing the skills you will need to succeed in an English-medium university.
Government of Ontario site - ESL Corner offers vocabulary exercises, including idioms. Audio files are included within each exercise.
Practice listening and speaking skills by singing along with the help of transcripts.
- Monash University
Useful information and sample video clips
- The Public Speaker
Quick tips for improving your communication skills.
Site not aimed at ESL audience.
- The Sounds of English
University of Iowa site: Hear the sounds of American English and see how the sounds are formed.
Helps promote proper pronunciation of words which sound similar (eg.Commended, commanded) with audio files.
- Free Phonics Game
Learn the sounds of English
- English Accent Coach
The interactive online game that improves English pronunciation.
- Perfect English Grammar
- Grammar Bytes
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
This site is especially valuable for the online quizzes where students can practice correcting grammatical errors and improve their vocabulary.
- Language Words
Explanations about all important aspects of language, written with the difficulties of the ESL student in mind. Most students will know what a verb is, but they may not know the various features of the verb system that can cause difficulties for ESL students with different mother-tongues. Learn about such difficulties and see an explanation and some examples.
- Grammar Girl
Covers grammar rules and word choice guidelines.
Site not aimed at ESL audience.
Vocabulary.com will help you to master the words that are essential to academic and business success.
- Vocabulary Power
Includes an online dictionary for immediate reference.
Organized with descriptions for each category - focuses on everyday language.
- Common Prefixes, Suffixes, and Root Words from Michigan State University. Students may come across words that are new or words that are familiar but used in ways that they have not encountered. This site is helpful as it alerts students to the meanings of word roots, prefixes and suffixes.
- English Idioms & Slang
- Online Self-Assessment
Free online task-based Reading assessment based on the 12 Canadian Language Benchmarks. This test assesses English language Reading & Listening proficiency on a scale of 1~9 (i.e. Beginner~Advanced)
Using news stories from CNN based on various topics, exercises are provided on vocabulary, comprehension and conclusions.
These tutorials will help you improve your ability to write at university, no matter what your faculty or area of study. Choose from general tutorials or tutorials specific to your subject area. Site not aimed at ESL students.
- University of Victoria English Language Centre Study Zone
Exercises arranged by ability level
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab
Resources to help ESL students in second language writing, including resources on writing across the curriculum, writing in the disciplines. Also contains links to OWL workshops and exercises useful for ESL students.
- Improve Your Writing, University of Bristol (Advanced)
- Rewordify.com - understand difficult English faster, and learn words in new ways from any English text. Rewordify.com is free online software. There is nothing to buy or install. It works on any computer, tablet, or smartphone. The site shows no ads, does not require users to log in, and strongly filters web content, for a distraction-free learning environment.
- Using English for Academic Purposes
Infomation about standardized English assessments, such as IELTS and TOEFL.
- Exam English
Free Online Practice Tests for the most important international ESL/EFL exams: IELTS,TOEFL,TOEIC, and the Cambridge ESOL exams such as CAE, FCE, and PET.
- Cambridge English Test
Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) exam preparation
- 24 hour Talk Radio CFRB
Toronto-based talk radio station - listen to live discussions about politics, sports, current events etc.
- The CBC Archives
Read, watch, listen and learn more about significant people and events in Canadian history. Search by category, e.g. Health, Politics, Sports, Society, etc.
- For advanced EAL students who want to improve listening, reading, and vocabulary:
- Television News, such as CBC, BBC World News, CNN. You can also personalize the app to suit your interests and download content for offline browsing.
- Newspapers and Magazines, such as The Toronto Star, Globe & Mail, The Economist, Maclean’s.
back to top
- mESL: An inventory of useful apps for every platform.
- Mobile ELS: A free ESL application developed by Athabasca University. This course tests your knowledge of English grammar and, more importantly, it gives you practice in using your knowledge to make correct and appropriate sentences. Grammar has meaning - if you change some of the grammar in a sentence, you also change its meaning.
- English Accent Coach: A website and mobile app to help non-native English speakers fine-tune their English pronunciation. This interactive online game that trains the brain to recognize new sounds
- Sounds, an app developed by McMillan Education, is a mobile English pronunciation aid, for students and teachers. Sounds helps you study, practice, and play with pronunciation wherever you are. Works with apple iPhone, iPad, and Android OS devices.
- Learning English with The New York Times: Learning English with The New York Times is an opportunity for second-language English speakers to improve reading and listening skills, and learn new vocabulary. This app is designed specifically for intermediate to advanced English language learners.
- My Word Coach: Enjoyable and fun activities include word recognition, spelling challenges and vocabulary definition, including 16,800 words from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary. My Word Coach also adapts its difficulty level to match your skills, and monitors and rewards your progress to help you express yourself better!
- English Grammar in Use Activities: A massive bundle of fun grammar activities with imagery and sound, written specially for intermediate learners of English.
- 10 Minute English: This app is for intermediate-level learners of English. It will help you with your grammar, vocabulary, and listening comprehension. It covers the most important grammar points that English learners have difficulties with.
- Grammar Girl: Great tips to help you write more intelligently and effectively.
- English at Work: Helps second language English students practice and improve their use of workplace English and Business English.
- Language Differences:
Useful information about the differences between English and various other languages (L1)
- Centre for Intercultural Learning
Government of Canada site - large resource, e.g. learn about countries and culture in the "Country Insights" section