Ryerson honours TRSM volunteers at the inaugural G. Raymond Chang Outstanding Volunteer Awards on Tuesday evening.
Left to right: TRSM Dean Steven Murphy; Phil Soper, Dean’s Advisory Council, and President and CEO of Royal LePage and Brookfield Real Estate Services Inc.; Andrea Barrack, Chair, Dean’s Advisory Council and Vice-President, Community Relations and Corporate Citizenship at TD Bank; Michael Barrak, Andrea's husband; and Melanie Yach, Phil's spouse.
By Sean Mullin
Ryerson University and the Ted Rogers School of Management celebrated the inaugural G. Raymond Chang Outstanding Volunteer Awards this week at Ryerson University’s George Vari Engineering and Computer Centre.
The event gave TRSM a chance to say thank you to all the individuals who make what TRSM does possible. Volunteers have generously dedicated their time and experience to serve on advisory councils, provide strategic direction for programs, mentor students, provide guest lectures and support the efforts of the faculty’s alumni associations.
The Chang awards are named in honour of the late G. Raymond Chang, former chancellor of Ryerson University, for his deep belief in the importance of volunteering.
Chang awarded nearly 30,000 Ryerson degrees and diplomas at 95 convocation ceremonies. It was one of his favourite things to do and expressed the way he embraced his role as “the students’ Chancellor.”
A consummate volunteer, Chang shared in the excitement as Ryerson took the innovation and entrepreneurship agenda to new heights and set out on a trajectory of unprecedented growth.
In all, 57 people were recognized at the inaugural awards ceremony, including the following TRSM volunteers:
- Andrea Barrack, Chair, Dean’s Advisory Council and Vice-President, Community Relations and Corporate Citizenship at TD Bank
- Ronald (Ron) Besse, Inaugural Honorary President, Ryerson Commerce Society, and former Chairman, President and CEO of Canada Publishing Corp.
- Paul Gardian, President, HTM Alumni Association, and Director, Guest Recognition, Operations, Four Seasons Hotels
- John Morrison, Inaugural Chair, Real Estate Management Advisory Council, and President and CEO of Choice Properties REIT
- Phil Soper, Dean’s Advisory Council, and President and CEO of Royal LePage and Brookfield Real Estate Services Inc.
- Serge Gattesco, Chair, School of Accounting and Finance Advisory Council, and the Canadian managing partner, strategy and operations for PwC Canada (honoured in absentia)
- William and Catharina Birchall, Honorary President and Chair of the Ted Rogers Student Society Committee (honoured in absentia)
Other honourees with TRSM connections included retailing icons John Craig Eaton and Harry Rosen.
Thank you to all of them for all that they do to support the mission of TRSM.