“On the Record” workshops on police record checks
The Privacy Institute at Ryerson University is pleased to offer FREE “On the Record” workshops on police record checks in Ontario on February 17, 2015.
The On the Record series aim to provide helpful information in two different workshops, tailored to two audiences:
Morning Session: from 10:00am to 12:00pm, February 17th. A workshop for those who help or work with people who may be impacted by police records (i.e. direct social service providers, legal/court professionals, government etc.)
Afternoon Session: from 1:00pm to 3:00pm, February 17th. A workshop for those who use police record checks in hiring or volunteer screening – HR professionals, Volunteer Organizations/Coordinators and Employers.
If you are in the Toronto area, you can attend in person. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register, and please indicate whether you plan on attending the morning or afternoon session, and if you plan on attending in-person or via webinar!
The workshops, delivered by Abby Deshman of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association and Jacqueline Tasca of the John Howard Society of Ontario, will provide:
- An overview the overlapping legal and policy frameworks governing police record checks in Ontario, including the different types police records, police databases and police record checks available in the province.
- A summary of research results that give insight into how police records, and in particular non-conviction records, are impacting individuals in a wide range of non-criminal processes.
Employers and HR professionals will also receive information regarding:
- Best practices around the use of police record checks in hiring.
- How to know when to request a police record check, and how to determine what level of check is necessary, and how to understand a positive police record check; and,
- Tips for ensuring that human resource policies and practices are compliant with privacy rights and human rights
Location for in-person attendees: room TRS1-109 at Ted Rogers School of Management, Ryerson University (7th floor, 55 Dundas Street West).
Register now to secure your spot to attend in person or to receive the webinar log-in information.