Faculty of Community Services | Program department site | Program Calendar
Program Format: Full-Time, Four-Year | Part-Time, Advanced Standing
Degree Earned: Bachelor of Social Work (BSW)
Admission Requirements: The Full-Time, Four-Year Social Work program is a Grades Only program and does not have non-academic requirements. The Part-Time, Advanced Standing Social Work program is a Grades Plus program and selects students on the basis of grades PLUS Non-Academic Requirements (in addition to the academic requirements listed below).
Full-Time, Four Year
- A minimum grade of 70 % or higher will be required in Grade 12 U English/Anglais (ENG4U/EAE4U preferred).
Part-Time, Advanced Standing
- Baccalaureate degree in humanities or social sciences from a Canadian university (or equivalent) with at least two years of accumulated employment in the social service field.
- Social Service diploma from a Canadian college, or Human Services Counsellor diploma from George Brown College, with a minimum 3.0/B/70% cumulative GPA plus completion of three one-term university liberal studies courses, one lower-level and two upper-level, NOT first year/level Psychology, Sociology or Politics with a minimum grade of C in each course AND completion of CVSW 15A/B Foundations of Social Work II from Ryerson's G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education with at least a "B-" grade. Students will be pre-selected for enrollment in this course.
Note: Given the strong competition for space, applicants will normally be required to present significantly higher academic averages above the minimum.
Important Notes about Advanced Standing Admission
- There is only one admission phase to the Program in the Fall Semester.
- Under the "Advanced Standing" admission policy, Social Service or Human Services Counselor Diploma Holders will not be considered for admission to a level lower than third year.
Part Time, Advanced Standing
Applicants to the Part Time, Advanced Standing program are required to submit the following non-academic requirements directly to Undergraduate Admissions and Recruitment at the time of application:
- A resume of work and volunteer experience
- 2 Letters of Reference (1 Academic and 1 Professional OR 2 Professional)
- Statement of Intent
- A letter from your employer outlining the details of your job (Degree Holders only)
NOTE: Only the Social Service and Human Services Counsellor diplomas from Ontario will be accepted at this time. No other Community College diplomas are acceptable for 3rd year entry. College applicants should note that admission to Advanced Standing is highly competitive and successful applicants may have multiple years of work experience in the social service field in addition to the admission requirements. It is highly recommended that the three Liberal Studies requirements be completed by January 2013 due to the competitive nature of this program.
Exception: If you have already attended this program and are applying for readmission or reinstatement, only a completed application and Supplementary Form are required.
The information on this page outlines the general nature of non-academic requirements used in the admissions process. Non-academic requirements that are submitted contrary to the above instructions will not be accepted for admission consideration.