Explorations in Design Studies
Copyright © 2000-2007 Isabel Pedersen
This collection provides several interesting papers on many different aspects of design.
Specifically, he addresses the way that hospital technology perpetuates the “symbolics of power” (88) that surround doctors and hospitals. He calls it “Frankenstein technology” “laboratory look” that is really a power demonstration. (89)
He suggests 5 criteria for changing design in this area:
1. New market of vital self products
2. Vital self technologies do not have to be fixed, they can be mobile and synchronic
3. The aim is not to seek rational ways of using a product, but to become experimenters who may modify the use of the product
4. Change the power symbolics, no control panel look. The self
5. These designs do not need to be concerned with social status symbolism
Relevant for wearable computing technology which will have to take into account this sort of design.