About the Program
Welcome to the Midwifery Education Program. This section provides students with a general overview of the program.
At the completion of the midwifery program, students shall be able to:
- Exhibit values and attitudes consistent with woman-based care; advocate for women’s choices and preferences and work in partnership with women.
- Provide safe, competent and ethical midwifery care that includes counselling, teaching and support for women and their families within varied cultural, ethnic and socioeconomic populations.
- Promote childbirth as a normal part of women’s health with an understanding of its cultural and social meanings.
- Promote understanding of and participation in health care by women and their families.
- Collaborate effectively with other health care providers; consult and refer appropriately.
- Exhibit critical thinking skills that can be used throughout one’s professional career.
- Understand and appropriately apply research findings within clinical practice.
- Be accountable for one’s own actions and participate in self and peer assessment.
- Contribute to the development of the midwifery profession.