A student’s Grade Point Average (GPA) is calculated as follows:
- Course Grade Points Achieved - multiply the grade points for the grade achieved by the course weight
- Total Grade Points Achieved - Sum the Course Grade Points Achieved
- Total Course Weights - Sum of the course weights for each course taken
- GPA - Divide the Total Grade Points Achieved by the Total Course Weights
Only the most recent attempt of a repeated course is included in the above calculations.
- The grade earned for a repeated course is used for calculating Grade Point Averages, even if it is lower than the original grade.
- Both attempts at the course are re corded on the student's transcript.
There are three types of GPA calculation used at Ryerson:
- Term Grade Point Average
- Cumulative Grade Point Average
- Program Grade Point Average
These are all similar, but each is calculated using different course information and used for different purposes.