Areas of Academic Interest
Cooling of Gas Turbine Blades
To call Bassam Jubran a jack-of-all-trades is to put it mildly. Over the past 30 years, Jubran has worked in everything from solar and wind energy to oil and gas, and his research has been shaped by the many diverse countries he has lived in, including the UK and Malaysia. It’s been a life and career full of adventure—experience Jubran uses to great effect in the classroom. “I like to keep things interesting,” he says. “I tell stories and jokes, whatever I can do to keep my students engaged.”
A professor at Ryerson since 2004, Jubran knows that communication and leadership skills are just as important as technical. He makes a point of ensuring that his undergraduates are real-world-ready by assigning them each the challenge of delivering a class lecture, even making a friendly competition out of it.
This approach reinforces one of Jubran’s goals: to empower all of his students in the classroom and beyond. “When they transition into their professional careers, today’s engineers need to know how to think for themselves and be leaders,” says Jubran. “If I can help them do that, I’ve done my job.”
“At the end of the day, students need to be able to defend their ideas; to be the expert.”
- Hisham Hijjawi Award in the field of Energy and Informatics, 1997
- Shoman Award for Young Arab Scientists (Engineering Sciences), 1994
- Siavash Khajehhasani, Bassam Ali Jubran, “A Numerical Evaluation of the Performance of Film Cooling from a Circular Exit Shaped Hole with Sister Holes Influence”, J. Heat Transfer Engineering, Vol. 37, No. 2, 2016
- Silambarasan Balasubramaniyan, Bassam Ali Jubran “Numerical Analysis of Film Cooling from Micro-Hole”. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Volume 51, issue 9, pp 1277-1285, 2015
- Siavash Khajehhasani, Bassam Jubran, "Film Cooling From Novel Sister Shaped Single-Holes" ASME Paper # GT2014-25971, Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2014: Gas Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, Germany, Dusseldorf, 2014-06-16.
- Siavash Khajehhasani, Bassam A. Jubran “Comparison of Various Turbulence Models to Predict Film Cooling Effectiveness from Different Exit Shaped Holes with Sister Holes Influence” Proceedings of CFD 2013, 21st Annual Conference of the CFD Society of Canada, May 6-9, 2013 - Sherbrook, Quebec, Canada.
- Sima Baheri, B. A. Jubran, “The Effect of Turbulence Intensity on Film Cooling of Gas Turbine Blade from Trenched Shaped Holes,” J. Heat and Mass. Transfer. Volume 48, Number 5 (2012), 831-840.