Areas of Academic Interest
For Puren Ouyang, control is crucial, especially when it comes to robots. His research is focused on making position domain control a core technology for contour tracking. In other words, he’s working to make robots perform more reliably.
“I focus on control because it ensures that manufacturing can produce high accuracy products,” he says. “Which is what every industry is aiming for.”
A pioneer in his field, Ouyang has developed a brand new methodology that uses position as a reference for domain control systems, rather than time or frequency. He hopes to see his work applied to robotic systems and Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machines, which are currently used in 80 percent of North American factories in lieu of manual labour. "With machines, each day has 24 hours," says Ouyang. "It’s up to us humans to design machines so they perform as reliably and predictably as possible.”
“It’s up to us humans to design machines so they perform as reliably and predictably as possible.”
- Best conference paper in Integration Award, in the 2011 IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation (IEEE ICIA 2011)
- NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2005-2007
- P.R. Ouyang and W.J. Zhang, Adaptive Switching Iterative Learning Control of Robot manipulator, Adaptive Control of Robotic Manipulators, 337-373. 2016.
- P.R. Ouyang, V. Pano*, and T. Dam*, PID Position Domain Control for Contour Tracking, International Journal of Systems Science, Vol.46, No.1, 111-124, 2015.
- P.R. Ouyang, J. Acob*, and V. Pano*, PD with Sliding Mode Control for Trajectory Tracking of Robotic System, Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Vol. 30, No. 2, 189-200, 2014.
- P.R. Ouyang and V. Pano*, Position Domain Synchronization Control of Multi-DOF Robotic Manipulator, Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Vol. 136, No. 2, 021017, 2014.
- P.R. Ouyang, V. Pano*, and J. Acob*, Position Domain Contour Control for Multi-DOF Robotic System, Mechatronics, Vol. 23, No. 8, 1061-1071,2013.