Areas of Specialization
Building information modeling
Occupant wellness and productivity
Existing building simulation
Smart building systems
Portfolio retrofit optimization
Sustainable building design
Agile project management in architecture & engineering practice
Jenn McArthur has had many memorable scuba dives, but few can top a trip she took to the Caribbean island of Bonaire. “I was 80 feet down, surrounded by reefs, and the water was crystal clear,” she says. “It felt like I was flying between mountain ranges.”
Diving helps McArthur reconnect to the natural world. It’s a connection that drives her every day in her research, which is helping to lower the environmental impact of buildings through data analytics. Diving also gives her a chance to entertain her inquisitive side. Every time she drops off the back of a boat into the waves, she experiences the sea in a new way. “The whole ocean feels ripe for discovery.”
Describing herself as endlessly curious, McArthur spent six years doing development work in India and Senegal, and even made it through several rounds of the Canadian Space Agency’s astronaut recruitment process. If McArthur can encourage her students to do anything, it’s to explore the unknown, to try and fail, and get back up and try again. “The students who take the risks are the students who thrive.”
“Architects and building scientists have a huge opportunity to make an environmental impact.”
- McArthur, J.J., 2015. A building information management (BIM) framework and supporting case study for existing building operations, maintenance and sustainability. Procedia engineering, 118, pp.1104-1111.
- Bortoluzzi, B., Carey, D., McArthur, J.J., Menassa, C. (2018) Measurements of Workplace Productivity in the Office Context: A Systematic Review and Current Industry Insights. Journal of Corporate Real Estate. (in press)
- McArthur, Jennifer. "Achieving Holistic Sustainability: considering wellness alongside resource use in buildings." In Creating the Productive Workplace: Places to Work Creatively, 335-48. 3rd ed. New York, NY: Routledge, 2017.
- McArthur, J. J., and Sun, X. 2017. Disrupting the Status Quo with Early-Stage BIM-Based Energy Modeling. TAD Journal 2(1):231-239.
- Bortoluzzi, B., Sobieraj, D., McArthur J. (2017). Automating Creation of Facility and Energy Management Building Information Models. Proc. Lean & Computing in Construction Congress (LC3), Vol. 1 (CIB W78), Heraklion, Greece, pp. 153-160.
- Smart Building Analytics Living Lab
- Building Information Research Group
- Director, Canada Green Building Council (GTA Chapter)
- Technology Director, Board, Subtle Technologies
- Editorial Board, Intelligent Buildings International
- Jennifer McArthur BIM and Existing Building Consulting (2016-present)