Skip to main content

Important Dates

Multiple Events
Single Event
Upcoming Events & Dates

Exchange versus Study Abroad

There are two ways in which you can study abroad and earn academic credits towards your Ryerson degree: through an Exchange program or a Study Abroad program. With an Exchange program, a formal arrangement exists between Ryerson and the international host university. With the Study Abroad program, you can study at an international university that does not have a formal agreement with Ryerson. Here are the key differences between the Exchange program and the Study Abroad program. 

Exchange Program Study Abroad
You apply to specific universities that have a formal, program – to – program exchange agreement. You apply to any university that hosts study abroad students, with permission from your Academic Program (see below).
Spaces are limited at each university, top candidates are selected by application and interview. You apply directly to the host university for acceptance.
You need to have a min 2.5 GPA to be eligible to apply. You must meet the host university’s eligibility requirements. 
Regular tuition is paid to Ryerson (5 course units per term). Tuition fees are not paid to the partner University.  Tuition is paid directly to the host university. 
You’ll work with your Program Academic Advisors prior to departure to get approval for courses you take on exchange. Courses are transferred upon receipt of an official transcript. You’ll select your courses and obtain your Program Department's approval, using the Ryerson Letter of Permission (LOP) form, to ensure that course(s) will be credited towards your degree upon return. 
Depending on your program, you can go for the Fall or Winter semester or for a full year.   You can go for the Fall, Winter or Spring/Summer term.
Administrative help is available through the Faculty of Arts Exchange Coordinator in the Student Experience Centre.

Administrative help is available through the host university's international office.

Students are eligible for OSAP while on Exchange

Students attending non-exchange partner universities are not eligible for OSAP.

Students must plan ahead prior to the experience.

Students must spend more time and effort planning for a study abroad experience than for an exchange.