Skip to main content

Important Dates

Multiple Events
Single Event
Upcoming Events & Dates

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can go on exchange?

You are eligible to apply for the exchange program if you have a Clear academic standing and have a CGPA of at least 2.50 (in some cases higher depending on the university). These criteria are set to ensure that you will be prepared to thrive academically while on exchange. 

When can I go on exchange?

Students typically apply in January of their second year to go on exchange in their third year. Depending on your program and preference, you may go for a full year or a single semester. (The Winter semester is recommended for single – semester exchanges.)

Is it hard to be accepted for an exchange program?

There are limited spaces available at each partner university, and the demand varies from one year to the next. Because student demand may exceed the number of spaces available, we ask you to choose your top three choices when applying. 

How do I choose an exchange program that’s right for me?

You’ll make your decisions based on a range of academic and non-academic factors. Start by listing the reasons you want to go on exchange and then ask yourself the following.

  • Is their program academically compatible with mine?
    Make sure that the university you’re interested in offers courses you need to take towards your degree in the term(s) that you wish to go. 
  • How much will it cost to live there?
    Although you pay tuition fees to Ryerson, you will pay for your travel, accommodation, meals, visas, medical insurance and all other exchange-related expenses. Living costs vary from one country to the next and from one student to the next. Click here for tips on estimating the cost of exchange. 
  • What types of accommodation are available?
    Some of our partners offer on – campus housing to exchange students. Partner universities that do not offer on – campus housing provide assistance in finding off – campus accommodations.
  • Do I need to speak a language other than English to study / live there?
  • Am I looking for a living experience similar to or vastly different from the one I’m living now?
  • How well do I deal with change? How ready am I to leave family / friends / the familiar for an extended period of time?
Can I receive OSAP while on exchange?

Students can apply for OSAP for the year / semester they are on exchange.  Your financial aid through OSAP is based on a formula that compares your educational costs to expected contributions from your parents/spouse (if applicable) and your own income and assets. OSAP will assess your file and provide you with your educational costs and your basic living expenses as if you were living away from home while on exchange. The difference in start and end dates at the Exchange University can sometimes result in a slight increase / reduction in the amount for which students are assessed in a given year as well. The formula does not take into account or cover your travel expenses, such as your airline ticket, visa fees or health insurance. 

How can I make sure my courses transfer to my program?

You will need to discuss your degree requirements with your academic advisor upon acceptance into the Exchange Program to ensure you are selecting transferable courses. You will be expected to take whatever is considered a full course load at the partner university, which can range from 3 – 5 courses depending on the university. Since courses are deemed equivalent, five courses will be credited towards your Ryerson degree. You receive a transfer credit for courses completed abroad; the grades do not count towards your CGPA. However, your actual grades will appear on the transcript from the host university, and may be used for assessment of some scholarships and if you choose to apply to graduate school.

How do I obtain a student visa/residence permit?

The visa application process varies by country and in complexity. The best place to access current and accurate information is directly from the host country’s embassy, consulate, or high commission. Remember, everyone’s circumstances are different. Don’t assume that a fellow student’s process will be the same for you. Your visa process is based on your citizenship, prior travel, your destination, as well as other personal factors. 

When should I book my flight?

We advise that you wait until you have received official acceptance from the host university before purchasing a ticket.