Student Emergency Fund
Applications for the Faculty of Arts COVID-19 Emergency Fund are currently being reviewed. Applicants will be notified of the status of their application as soon as they are reviewed.
The social and economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic is proving to be immense. We are experiencing it personally and collectively. Systemic inequities and their intersections also mean that the COVID-19 crisis is experienced in different ways by different groups of students. Sensitive to the loss of jobs, reduction in employment hours, potential loss of accommodations and other harsh realities that many of our students are currently facing, the Faculty of Arts has established a COVID-19 student emergency fund. This fund will provide one-time financial support to graduate and undergraduate students (both domestic and international) who are experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The emergency fund for students will be administered through the Office of the Dean of Arts. Funding has been provided by the Office of the Dean of Arts, all departments, and the Ryerson Liberal Arts Society.
Eligibility & Guidelines:
- To be eligible to receive these funds, you must be an undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in a Faculty of Arts program in the Winter 2020 or Spring 2020 semester.
- You must demonstrate financial hardship directly resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Eligible expenses include, but are not limited to: Internet charges; groceries and shelter; unexpected program/ equipment expenses incurred as a result of the University’s transition to virtual learning. In addition, we recognize that some students may have incurred costs linked to self-quarantine/ hospitalization and departure from an abusive and otherwise intolerable living arrangement.
- We are offering financial assistance ranging from $200 to $1,000 based on need (additional funding may be considered in exceptional situations and on a case by case basis). We ask that you please apply for only the amount needed to ensure that this fund can support as many students as possible.
- Only one application per student will be considered (additional requests may be considered on a case by case basis).
- If you have received funding from the Ryerson Student Relief Fund, you will not be eligible for this fund.
We respect your privacy. All applications will be handled in strict confidence by a small, select committee of academic leaders and staff who work in the Office of the Dean of Arts. Your identity, circumstances and requests will not be shared with your program or department. Information collected will be used solely to determine eligibility & need for the Faculty of Arts COVID-19 Student Emergency Fund.
We are aware that in these challenging times, stating your needs in writing may seem daunting. We recognize this and recommend that you keep your request clear, concrete and concise. Your application will be reviewed based on need and availability of funds and not on your writing ability.
We will accept and review applications on a continuous basis until the fund has been exhausted. Please apply as soon as possible. We will make every effort to review applications upon receipt and communicate our decisions quickly.
For questions or assistance with completing your application, please contact Rahma Hilowle email@example.com
Other Funding Opportunities:
Note: this funding has been established to provide immediate, short-term, relief on a one-time-only basis in response to pressing need. For longer-term support, we strongly encourage students to apply for funding from the Provincial and Federal governments. For more information, please visit these websites:
Other Ryerson funding:
The Office of the Registrar is administering a separate fund—the Ryerson Student Relief Fund—to support students during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please visit this site for more information on the Ryerson Student Relief Fund: Financial Assistance and Awards - Ryerson COVID-19 Information and Updates
If you have already applied to this fund to cover the same expenses, please wait for their decision before applying for Arts funding.