SSH102 Learning and Development Strategies: Thriving in Action
This special offering of SSH102 is being made available only to Faculty of Arts students this term, at no additional cost, to help you transition to remote learning. Deadline to register is August 18, 2020.
Earn credit & get ready for the fall term, at no extra cost!
For incoming and returning students alike, this upcoming semester and year will be like no other. Never before have the skills to learn and to thrive been more crucial.
Starting in August, the Faculty of Arts is offering an innovative credit course SSH102 Learning and Development Strategies: Thriving in Action.
This elective course will help you prepare to succeed in a fully virtual semester. Starting on August 19th with a 3-day intensive online class, and continuing into the fall semester with weekly meet-ups, you will learn tools and strategies to study in a virtual setting, while learning about the importance of well-being for academic success.
In this integrative course, you will learn Positive Psychology fundamentals, like gratitude, mindfulness, and self-compassion, woven together with holistic learning strategies, from time management to note-taking, studying to essay-writing. Throughout the course, you will also explore career pathways and key Ryerson services. This course will form a mind-body-heart-spirit bridge into a sustainable, healthful, and hopeful academic journey. You will walk away with an introduction to resilience, an expanded toolbox of academic strategies, and a felt sense of belonging and community — key components to flourish as a student, especially at this time.
This course is being offered at no additional cost to all undergraduate Arts students registered for the fall semester.
Students will explore Awe, Belongingness, Character Strengths, Creativity, Essay-Writing, Gratitude, Growth Mindset, Habits, Note-Taking, Optimism, Resilience, Self-Compassion, Studying, Test-Taking.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Learn and practise the key components of resilience;
- Transition to online learning at the post-secondary level in intentional, healthful, and sustainable ways;
- Explain why and how health-promoting activities like active wellbeing, sleep, and mindfulness directly impact academic success;
- Demonstrate an increased awareness of their own agency, for example, intentional decision-making and self-regulation;
- Plan, write, and revise a capstone paper, and do so in supported, time-managed stages;
- Explore pathways between their intended Faculty of Arts degree and future career opportunities.
Rhythm of the Course
Three days to introduce, three weeks to immerse, three months to integrate.
- 3 Days (18-hour intensive August 19th-21st, 9:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
- 3 Weeks (6-hour independent exploration after intensive ends and before the start of the fall semester)
- 3 Months (1-hour per week September-December)
How to register
Deadline to register: August 18, 4:30 p.m., 2020.
Interested students must pre-enrol for this course prior to registration. To pre-enrol you must have a valid Ryerson email address and student number to complete the form - please speak with your departmental administrator or visit https://www.ryerson.ca/arts/students/undergraduate/new-students/ about activating your Ryerson online ID.
- Step one: activate your Ryerson online ID, opens in new window
- Step two: login to your Ryerson account to access and complete the Pre-Enrolment Form: https://forms.gle/FD5DioTHgbEUhqJe9, external link
- Step three: watch your Ryerson email for updates about the course
For questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org