You are now in the main content area
Critical Theory and the Image
This course will introduce students to various twentieth-century schools of thought such as psychoanalysis, the Frankfurt School, hermeneutics, structuralism, semiotics, post-structuralism, Marxism, feminism, gender studies, post-colonialism, and the development of "French Theory" in the 1960s and 1970s. Particular emphasis will be put on the philosophical traditions underlying these theories and the way in which they have been applied to visual media, arts, and cultures.
Weekly Contact: Lecture: 3 hrs.
GPA Weight: 1.00
Course Count: 1.00
Billing Units: 1
Mentioned in the Following Calendar Pages
*List may not include courses that are on a common table shared between programs.
- Arts and Contemporary Studies Professionally-Related Table II
- Creative Industries Professional Table II
- History Professionally Related - Table IV
- Image Arts Professionally-Related Table II
- Language and Intercultural Relations Professionally-Related Table IV
- Minor in Visual Studies
- Open Elective Table
- Sociology Professionally-Related Table IV