Ryerson University Notice of Collection
NOTICE OF COLLECTION
Ryerson University (the “University”) collects personal information under the authority of the PDF fileRyerson University Act and in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, external link. The University collects personal information for the purposes of administering its statutory objects and powers, programs, activities, and to carry out other services and functions. Without limitation, such purposes include the following:
- Recruitment, admissions, registration, academic records, academic programs and assessments, and evaluations;
- Financial assistance, financial aid, refunds, awards, and scholarships, and collection of fees with collection agencies and government agencies;
- Publication and verification of graduated student names, awards, and programs to third parties;
- Establishing or confirming the veracity of information, documentation, and status with other universities, colleges, government agencies, and other third parties;
- Collaboration and cooperation with other post-secondary institutions, affiliated institutions, and other third parties, including, but not limited to, joint research projects and initiatives;
- Provision of supports and services;
- Academic and non-academic programs, course management, and experiential learning opportunities;
- University-related student activities, activities of student societies, associations, unions, and other groups that serve a similar purpose within the University’s community;
- Sports, intramurals, camps, and other recreational activities;
- Fulfillment of requirements related to affiliated institutions;
- Employment and volunteer-related matters;
- Safety, security, and well-being;
- Facilities management and development;
- Promotion and marketing in any medium;
- Graduation and alumni relations and development activities;
- Research and innovation;
- Statistical reporting and surveys;
- Equity, diversity, and inclusion;
- Centralization or sharing of service delivery among academic units, administrative units, and services or programs;
- Reporting to government and regulatory agencies, funding agencies, and professional licensing bodies;
- Assessing, monitoring, promoting, revising, and enforcing compliance with the University’s policies, procedures, guidelines, regulations, and decisions;
- Institutional planning, university advancement, and furthering the University’s strategic plans, including but not limited to the Academic Plan, Strategic Research Plan, Internationalization Strategy, Advancement Plan, and the Campus Master Plan;
- Furthering the objects of a unit or department within the University;
- Furthering programs, activities, services, and relationships that are relevant to the administration, operation, and functioning of the University; and
- Other related purposes.
The University is required to disclose certain personal information to the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (the “Ministry”) under section 15 of the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities Act, RSO 1999, Chapter M19, as amended. For example, the University must report personal information such as Ontario Education Numbers, student characteristics, and educational outcomes to the Ministry. The Ministry collects this data for purposes such as planning, allocating and administering public funding to colleges, universities and other post-secondary educational and training institutions and to conduct research and analysis, including longitudinal studies, and statistical activities conducted by or on behalf of the ministry for purposes that relate to post-secondary education and training.
The University will collect, use, disclose, and protect your personal information in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act., external link
If you have any questions about the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information at the University, please visit the University’s Information Access and Privacy website.
You may also contact the University’s Privacy Officer via email at email@example.com or at 380 Victoria Street, Jorgenson Hall, 11th Floor, Toronto, Ontario, M5B 2K3.
Effective as of September 22, 2020