Postdoctoral Researcher, Cybersecurity Research Lab at TRSM
Department: Cybersecurity Research Lab at TRSM
Position supervisor: Dr. Atty Mashatan
Contract length: 1 year, maybe renewed based on performance
Hours of work per week: 36.25, Mon – Friday, regular business hours.
Position type: Postdoctoral Fellow
Rate of pay: $45,000 - $55,000 CAD per annum plus a comprehensive benefits package.
At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
As an employer, we are working towards a people first culture and are proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and a Greater Toronto’s Top Employer for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. To learn more about our work environment, colleagues, leaders, students and innovative educational environment, visit www.ryerson.ca, check out @RyersonU, external link, @RyersonHR, external link and @RyersonEC, external linkI on Twitter, and visit our LinkedIn company page, external link.
About the Cybersecurity Research Lab
Located in the heart of downtown Toronto, the largest and most culturally diverse city in Canada, the Cybersecurity Research Lab (CRL) is an academic research lab at Ted Rogers School of Management at Ryerson University. The CRL conducts multi- and interdisciplinary cutting-edge information security and privacy research, provides training for the next generation of cybersecurity experts, and is spearheading a crucial and ongoing dialogue with the Information and Computer Technology (ICT) industry in Canada. The lab is led by Dr. Atefeh (Atty) Mashatan, an Information Security Researcher and Solutions Architect.
The CRL is recognized for its strong partnerships and linkages to industry. Its mission is to help organizations, large and small, to find innovative and cost effective cyber risk mitigation strategy and solutions. The lab’s research expertise is in Cryptography, Blockchain Technology, Quantum-resistant solutions, Machine Learning and its applications in Cybersecurity, Enterprise Security Architecture, and Security of Internet of Things (IoT).
We are seeking an exceptional postdoctoral researcher to join the Cybersecurity Research Lab in conducting research in the area of Management of Information Systems Security and Privacy beginning as early as September 1st, 2019.
Review of applications will continue until position is filled.
- Contribute substantially to research projects and publications of the Cybersecurity Research Lab
- Participate actively in research proposal development of the Cybersecurity Research Lab
- Take part in the activities of the Cybersecurity Research Lab
- Work closely with the project team and contribute to the intellectual life of the lab
- Collaborate with the industry partners of the Cybersecurity Research Lab
- Participate in the knowledge management and translation of the lab’s research via journals, conferences, and the Cybersecurity Research Lab website.
- Candidates are required to have a Ph.D. in Information Systems, Information Technology, or a related discipline, by the time of appointment.
- The ideal candidate will have already demonstrated excellence in research in the area of Management of Information Systems security and Privacy
- The candidate must also possess excellent English language skills, social skills, team spirit, and must be able and willing to work in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
How to apply
Candidates should address their application to Dr. Atty Mashatan, Director of Cybersecurity Research Lab, and submit the materials electronically to email@example.com
Please email one PDF file that includes the following:
- Cover Letter that describes your relevant background and skills, range of interests and career goals,
- Academic CV,
- A three-page research statement,
- The name and contact information for three research references (one reference should be your doctoral advisor); Reference letters will only be solicited from the short-listed candidates,
- Sample publication
Date of completion of doctorate*
September 2016 or later
Between September 2013 and September 2016
Only with declaration of relevant career interruptions and/or delays
Prior to September 2013
*Date all degree requirements were completed, not the date of graduation
- In addition, candidates cannot hold a permanent Faculty position or a Faculty position leading to permanency
Ryerson’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
We encourage all First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples or Indigenous peoples of North America, to self-identify in their applications and also reach out to Tracey King, Aboriginal HR Consultant for support during the selection process.
Please watch a message from Ryerson's Vice President, Equity and Community Inclusion for more information on our commitment to equity.