IT Support Analyst
Department: Office of the Dean, Faculty of Arts
Position supervisor: Director, Operations and Strategic Projects
Contract length: ASAP to December 31, 2020
Hours of work per week: Up to 24 hours/week
Position type: Part-Time
Rate of pay: Compensation will be commensurate with experience
At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
As an employer, we are working towards a people first culture and are proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and a Greater Toronto’s Top Employer for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. To learn more about our work environment, colleagues, leaders, students and innovative educational environment, visit www.ryerson.ca, check out @RyersonU, external link, @RyersonHR, external link and @RyersonEC, external linkI on Twitter, and visit our LinkedIn company page, external link.
About the program/department/team
Ryerson’s Faculty of Arts comprises eleven humanities and social science departments. Serving a dual role within the University, the Faculty of Arts combines a liberal arts education with Ryerson's unique brand of relevant, practical learning. We are looking for an Office Administrator to be part of a dedicated administrative team who provide support services to staff, faculty, and students. Join us and assist us inPDF file our commitment to program, faculty and student growth.
We are one of the fastest growing faculties in Canada, and you should get to know us better before you decide to apply to join our team. To learn more about our students, work environment, colleagues, leaders and innovative educational environment, visit www.ryerson.ca/arts/ and search @RUDeanofArts, external link on twitter or RUFacultyofArts, external link on Facebook.
In the role of IT Support Analyst, you will assist in coordinating the day-to-day activities of the Faculty-wide technology support help desk and the coordination of Faculty-wide Information Systems, Servers, Networks and Cloud services designed to ensure excellent service to faculty, staff, and students including resolution of technical problems.
Responsibilities will include:
- Plans, coordinates and supports the day-to-day operation of the Faculty’s technology support help desk to ensure efficient, effective operation and the highest level of client satisfaction.
- Provides technical support (hardware and software) to faculty, instructors, staff, student employees and students, including support for remote learning.
- Assists faculty, staff and students in troubleshooting complex technology problems.
- Responsible for resolution of technical problems at the Help Desk including providing individual problem-solving and consultative assistance to help desk staff and lab monitors.
- Provides user training and assists faculty, staff and students in the operation of a variety of technology equipment. Develops and presents orientation and training manuals, user guides and may provide hands-on training to newly hired staff.
- Evaluates and maximizes network performance by monitoring, troubleshooting network problems and outages, scheduling upgrades and collaborating with network architects from CCS.
- Oversees and maintains all network related elements of all services offered by the Faculty of Arts IT Group, including but not limited to: print services, internet services, licensing, email, network security, QoS, wireless, IP technology, VPN, firewall management, intranet connectivity and all backup of university information.
- Maintains and adheres to administrative systems, policies and procedures.
- Tracks help desk calls and emails. Conducts data analysis by generating statistical reports regarding help desk performance (i.e. percentage of issues resolved, average time taken to resolve an issue, etc.).
- Works with CCS to maintain the images for Faculty of Arts lab computers; requests or performs re-imaging of computers, as necessary.
- Provides recommendations and advice on new equipment, applications and technology solutions, such as ordering computers, printers and other technology equipment and software to the entire Faculty of Arts (faculty and staff); assists with preparation of orders by obtaining quotes from preferred vendors.
- Distributes and sets up new technology equipment for faculty and staff, including hardware and software.
- Establishes and monitors the process of both short-term and long-term technology equipment loans (e.g. laptops, projectors, etc.) to faculty, staff and students; repairs and maintains loan equipment.
- Provides occasional supplementary first-line support for presentation technologies, faculty photocopiers and lab printers.
- Maintains physical and network security and inventory of the Faculty’s technology equipment.
- Administers and secures all Help Desk assets (small parts, cables, supplies, loan equipment etc.)
This position will be required to primarily work remotely for the duration of the contract. Applicants must have the necessary technology and connectivity to work remotely.
Please demonstrate in your resume and covering letter how you met the following position requirements:
- Completion of a post-secondary degree in Computer Science or Business with specialized training in current technology in relation to client/server computing, data management and information technology management.
- A minimum 3 years of progressively responsible related experience as a Help Desk Technician, ideally with experience in leading a help desk service and in collecting and presenting data to support quality improvement.
- Demonstrated knowledge of multiple operating systems (Windows, Mac, Unix, Linux) and strong background in network administration. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including a proven ability to assess and meet client needs.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references. Informal inquiries and applications should be sent to Melissa Wong (email@example.com). Review of applications will begin September 18, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
Ryerson’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
We encourage all First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples or Indigenous peoples of North America, to self-identify in their applications and also reach out to Tracey King, Aboriginal HR Consultant for support during the selection process.
Please watch a message from Ryerson's Vice President, Equity and Community Inclusion for more information on our commitment to equity.