Department: Office of the Dean, Faculty of Arts
Position supervisor: Director, Operations and Strategic Projects
Contract length: ASAP to December 31, 2020
Hours of work per week: 15-20 hours/week
Position type: Part-Time
Rate of pay: Compensation will be commensurate with experience
At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
As an employer, we are working towards a people first culture and are proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and a Greater Toronto’s Top Employer for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. To learn more about our work environment, colleagues, leaders, students and innovative educational environment, visit www.ryerson.ca, check out @RyersonU, external link, @RyersonHR, external link and @RyersonEC, external linkI on Twitter, and visit our LinkedIn company page, external link.
About the program/department/team
Ryerson’s Faculty of Arts comprises eleven humanities and social science departments. Serving a dual role within the University, the Faculty of Arts combines a liberal arts education with Ryerson's unique brand of relevant, practical learning. We are looking for an Office Administrator to be part of a dedicated administrative team who provide support services to staff, faculty, and students. Join us and assist us in PDF fileour commitment to program, faculty and student growth.
We are one of the fastest growing faculties in Canada, and you should get to know us better before you decide to apply to join our team. To learn more about our students, work environment, colleagues, leaders and innovative educational environment, visit www.ryerson.ca/arts and search @RUDeanofArts, external link on twitter or RUFacultyofArts, external link on Facebook.
In the role of Office Administrator, you will provide administrative, marketing, and event support for the Office of the Dean.
Responsibilities will include:
- Provides administrative support to the Office of the Dean of Arts, including the scheduling of appointments and meetings; maintaining calendars; screening and responding to email and calls; assists in preparing business communications, documents, financial reports, spreadsheets; maintaining filing systems, etc.
- Communicates with faculty, staff, students, and contacts both internal and external to the University, in support of the operations of the Office of the Dean of Arts.
- Processes invoice payments, processes eAppoint contracts for temporary staff and honorariums.
- Supports the planning, organization, and execution of events, award ceremonies, and workshops.
- Maintains mailing lists, contact database, distributes invitations, and provides virtual event assistance as needed.
- Purchase office supplies, equipment and inventory as well as track and verify purchases and payments in accordance with University financial policies and procedures.
- Administer and books meeting requests for the senior team, including the set up of virtual meetings
- Maintain and post information and updates the Faculty of Arts website and events calendar.
This position will be required to work remotely for the duration of the contract. Applicants must have the necessary technology and connectivity to work remotely.
Please demonstrate in your resume and covering letter how you met the following position requirements:
- Completion of a post-secondary certificate program or 2 years of specialized training in Customer Service, Communication, Office Administration or equivalent education or training.
- Minimum of three years (3) related experience including administrative and client service, preferably in an academic environment.
- Understanding of University academic policies and procedures is preferred.
- Familiarity with Faculty of Arts related higher educational programs, professional organizations and networks, and university/community partnerships is considered an asset.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to effectively prioritize and conflicting deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with excellent phone etiquette and responsiveness to the needs of Ryerson community members.
- Ability to manage conflict and calmly deal with difficult situations with external contacts, staff, faculty and students.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and summarize information and data with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with minimal supervision creating productive working relationships in a team environment.
- Strong computer skills in a Windows-based technical environment, including G Suite, MS Office Suite, internet, e-mail and databases.
- Strong numeracy skills and familiarity with processing invoice payments, eAppoint contracts and honorariums.
- Knowledge of financial accounting principles and practices, including financial management, budgeting, contract administration and Oracle Government Financials (OGF) is considered an asset.
- Must demonstrate professionally communicate effectively and positively with a significant level of diplomacy, confidentiality and trust.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references. Informal inquiries and applications should be sent to Melissa Wong (firstname.lastname@example.org). Review of applications will begin August 28 and will continue until the position is filled.
Ryerson’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
We encourage all First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples or Indigenous peoples of North America, to self-identify in their applications and also reach out to Tracey King, Aboriginal HR Consultant for support during the selection process.
Please watch a message from Ryerson's Vice President, Equity and Community Inclusion for more information on our commitment to equity.