Structures' Lab Maintenance Technician
Department: Department of Aerospace Engineering
Position supervisor: Mr. Seyed Mir
Contract length: One-year contract with three months' probation period and open to renewal
Hours of work per week: 20 hours per week (4 days x 5 hours)
Position type: Technical
Rate of pay: $18.00 - $22.00/hr. Depending on qualifications and experience
At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
As an employer, we are working towards a people first culture and are proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and a Greater Toronto’s Top Employer for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. To learn more about our work environment, colleagues, leaders, students and innovative educational environment, visit www.ryerson.ca, check out @RyersonU, @RyersonHR and @RyersonECI on Twitter, and visit our LinkedIn company page.
About the program/department/team
This part time position requires a skilled person to repair, maintain and upkeep the equipment, machinery and other lab instruments to the industry standards. Preventive maintenance and emergency repair of machinery must be done based on health and safety of self and other employees of the lab. Familiarity with safety regulations and standards is essential to performing duties in heavy equipment and automated machinery.
- Perform minor plumbing, electrical and mechanical repairs as necessary
- Implement preventative maintenance measures in the entire lab
- Maintain inventory of equipment and supplies for all equipment and tools
- Respond quickly in case of an emergency, notify appropriate personnel and follow safety protocol
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment in the lab
- Identify consumables, order, receive (or ship) purchased goods and record transactions
- Perform other maintenance duties as requested
- Skilled in performing tasks using related manual and small automated (electrical) tools
- Able to read and interpolate engineering drawings
- Capable of working in accordance with safety standards without supervision
- Experienced in repair (and replacement of) simple parts of general machine shop equipment Familiar with Hydraulic, Pneumatic, PLC, Robotics, CNC, Mechatronic and other automated systems
- Skilled Trade's Certificate in Millwright, General Machinist and Tool & Die Maker is an asset Familiarity with Robots, 3D printing, Manufacturing systems, University and Research environment are assets
How to apply
Forward resume to: Seyed Miri, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ryerson’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
We encourage all First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples or Indigenous peoples of North America, to self-identify in their applications and also reach out to Tracey King, Aboriginal HR Consultant for support during the selection process.
Please watch a message from Ryerson's Vice President, Equity and Community Inclusion for more information on our commitment to equity.