Keep Antivirus Software Updated
Some threats can be thwarted by using antivirus software to protect your computer and mobile devices. Learn more about what’s available to the Ryerson community and how antivirus software can work for you.
Free antivirus software at Ryerson
CCS provides Sophos Antivirus software free for all Ryerson faculty and staff for use on work devices. Download the version you need:
- Sophos Antivirus for Windows, Mac and Linux
- Sophos Antivirus for Android mobile devices, external link
Students, faculty and staff can also protect their home computers free-of-charge with Sophos Home, external link.
Configuring antivirus software
Antivirus software protects you best when maintained properly. You can do this by:
- making sure your antivirus software is current
- setting your antivirus software to scan for viruses daily
- allowing the software to automatically scan a large variety of files, including email attachments and online downloads
- updating your antivirus definitions regularly
Antivirus and the cloud environment
Files shared on the cloud can sometimes slip past antivirus software, leaving you vulnerable to virus infection. Where possible:
- edit shared documents on the cloud drive instead of downloading the file to your device
- notify a document owner immediately if they’ve shared an infected file. Do not reach out to a document owner you don’t know.
- use your judgement to determine if it’s necessary to notify document contributors as well, in case they’ve downloaded the file to their devices