While transitioning to a remote environment, some assessments will work with minor adjustments, while others may require a whole new approach. Either way, this is an opportunity to rethink your existing assessments and come up with creative solutions to both PDF fileformative and summative assessments, opens in new window.
Ways to adapt
Below are some suggestions for how to adjust assessment in your course.
- Instead of a multiple choice exam testing facts and definitions, consider adapting your questions to reflect higher-order learning and using PDF fileopen book exams, opens in new window through D2L Brightspace Quizzes, opens in new window.
- If you are considering virtual proctoring, consider the many google doclimitations , external link, opens in new windowassociated with this approach.
- google docStudents with accommodations, external link, opens in new window face challenges with online timed exams, so we encourage considering an alternative assessment such as a google doctake home exam, external link, opens in new window which can be submitted through D2L Brightspace Quizzes , opens in new windowor D2L Brightspace, opens in new window.
- Before students watch a pre-recorded video of a lab, ask them to write the procedure and their hypotheses and submit it through D2L Brightspace., opens in new window
- Provide students with the results of the lab, or a dataset, and ask them to interpret those results through a lab report or graphic representation and submit it through D2L Brightspace. , opens in new window
- Rather than having students physically performing a lab, ask them to write a step-by-step process of how they would carry out a particular test, and what considerations would they make (e.g., equipment, controls, safety) and submit it through D2L Brightspace., opens in new window
- In place of a face-to-face presentation, students can record their presentation, opens in new window and upload it to a shared google drive, opens in new window or D2L Brightspace Assignments, opens in new window. For groups, students can record their individual components of the presentation. For a synchronous option, students can deliver their presentation in real time using Google Meet , opens in new windowor Zoom, opens in new window with their screen shared.
- Rather than students presenting their work verbally, students can submit a written script, a detailed outline of their presentation, or their presentation slides with speaker notes through D2L Brightspace Assignments., opens in new window
- State expectations, but allow extensions for students who have difficulties meeting deadlines. Be as flexible as possible. Be ready to handle requests for extensions or accommodations equitably.
- Consider saving files in two formats, the original format and an accessible, mobile-friendly format such as PDF.
- For more details, take a look at this pressbook for creating accessible documents, opens in new window.