Plan your course framework
Planning your course syllabus
In your syllabus, opens in new window, create a clear learning path for the course. Provide a clear, current structure in your syllabus by week with:
- This Week’s Tasks
- Assigned Readings
- Course Materials
- Assessments and due dates
Let students know that all content, resources, activities and communications will be outlined in the course hub.
For each week, outline how and when you will deliver content
Indicate the approximate time, external link, opens in new window it will take to complete the course materials for the week, to support time management. Include reading time, audio or video run time, and estimated time to complete any activities or assessments.
Planning your course ‘hub’
Once you’ve designed your syllabus, it’s time to set up your D2L Brightspace course shell to become a course ‘hub’. Communicating a clear path through the course for students is extremely important in an online environment. Replicate the learning path from the course syllabus in D2L Brightspace, identifying the order in which learning materials, activities, and assessments should be accessed.
- Request and set up a course shell in D2L Brightspace, opens in new window to act as the "hub" for your course.
- If you plan to leverage Google Drive for sharing course materials, or facilitating activities request a class Google Group, opens in new window, and create a shared class folder on Google Drive, opens in new window.
- Create a content module in D2L Brightspace, opens in new window specifically for the course syllabus, and associated administrative documents. Then, use content modules to organize content, opens in new window, by topic, by week, or by module, for easy reference.
- Leverage the 'description' section of a D2L Brightspace content module, opens in new window to clearly outline the lesson plan for the week/module.
- Consider encouraging students to enable their Brightspace notifications, opens in new window to ensure they are up to date with the course.
- Upload handouts, readings or any other supporting documents to their respective content modules in D2L Brightspace, opens in new window. Be mindful of copyright, opens in new window - you might not be permitted to upload (distribute) a document that you previously provided as a handout in class.
- If you would like to reveal more content as students complete tasks, you can add release conditions, opens in new window in your D2L Brightspace modules.