Areas of Academic Interest
Simulation / modeling and optimization of chemical processes
Modeling of fluid flow and rheological behavior of fluid-particles systems
Membrane fouling remediation – food and wastewater applications
Waste utilization and low level energy management
Bioenergy, oil and gas production (midstream and downstream)
|1988||University of Waterloo
|1974||University of Waterloo
|1970||Sharif University of Technology
|Course Code||Course Title|
|CE8210||Process & Engineering Optimization|
|CHE 473||Sustainable Energy Technology|
|CHE 44A/B||Plant Design|
Every day, when Ali Lohi makes the commute from Waterloo to Toronto, North American car culture is on evident display. Lohi passes hundreds if not thousands of single-occupancy vehicles, each one striking a chord with his ecological consciousness. “It’s a lifestyle problem and a mindset that we have here,” he says. “But we can fix it. Even if it takes generations.”
A pillar of Ryerson’s engineering program, Lohi helped shape the school’s undergraduate, master's, and PhD programs while simultaneously holding an adjunct appointment at another university. At Ryerson, Lohi teaches his students strategies for maintaining society’s current living standards while decreasing energy consumption. He practises what he preaches. In his own research, Lohi converts agricultural waste—corn cobs and sweetgrass—into cost-efficient bio oil and synthesis gas (syngas), and finally into butanol.
Lohi believes that a greener future needs engineers and scientists from all different disciplines to work together. “It’s up to everybody to make the world a better place,” he says. “I’m just doing my part.”
"Being a young university, Ryerson can show its societal progress, because it’s changing at the same rate."
- Kazemzadeh A., Ein-Mozaffari F., Lohi A., Pakzad L., 2017, “Intensification of Mixing of Shear-Thinning Fluids Possessing Yield Stress with the Coaxial Mixers Composed of Two Different Central Impellers and an Anchor”, Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification 111, 101-114.
- Alchikh-Sulaiman B., Ein-Mozaffari F., Lohi A., 2015, “Evaluation of Poly-Disperse Solid Particles Mixing in a Slant Cone Mixer Using Discrete Element Method”, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 96, 196-213.
- Liu H., Elkamel A., Lohi A., Biglari M., 2014, “Effect of Char Combustion Product Distribution Coefficient on the CFD Modeling of Biomass Gasification in a Circulating Fluidized Bed”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 53, no. 13, 5554-5563.
- Abdelrasoul A., Doan H., Lohi A., 2013, “Impact of Operating Conditions on Fouling Probability and Cake Height in Ultrafiltration of Latex Solution,” Journal of Membrane and Separation Technology, 2, no. 2, 134-147.
- USA Provisional Patent - “Water Purification Device”, Abdelrasoul/Doan/Lohi, US#62415694, 2016.