Areas of Academic Interest
Advanced oxidation technologies for water and wastewater treatment: process development and design of individual and combined processes, kinetics, modeling, and simulation
Photochemical reaction engineering in environmental processes: simulation, modeling, kinetics, mass transfer, and photoreactor design
Integration of advanced oxidation technologies and biological processes for the treatment of water and wastewater: process design, modeling, simulation, and optimization
Effect of climate change on water quality and quantity
Mehrab Mehrvar’s entire life has been shaped by water. “Growing up, our town did not have a sewage system,” he says. “We had to boil all our water so we wouldn't get sick.”
It was this early reality check that turned Mehrvar into the passionate environmentalist and lecturer he is today. “My students respond to my enthusiasm. It keeps them motivated to learn and try to solve the problem we’re faced with.”
That problem is climate change. With rising sea levels causing unprecedented flooding, how do we protect aquifers—the source of drinking water for much of the world—from over-salinization? To address this issue, Mehrvar and several of his grad students are building mathematical models based on data they’ve collected in Cartagena, Colombia, a city struggling with this very issue. The models, Mehrvar hopes, will convince the municipality to take action to prevent further flooding and consider improvements to water treatment technology.
It’s a challenging task, but Mehrvar is striving ahead. “It’s my duty,” he says. “A true engineer has a responsibility to help improve the world.”
“A true engineer has a responsibility to help improve the world.”
- YSGS (Yates School of Graduate Studies, Ryerson University) Outstanding Contribution to Graduate Education Award – Interdisciplinary, 2020
- Sarwan Sahota Ryerson Distinguished Scholar Award 2019
- Faculty Scholarly, Research and Creative Activity Award, Ryerson University, 2018
- YSGS (Yates School of Graduate Studies, Ryerson University) Outstanding Contribution to Graduate Education Award – Interdisciplinary, 2017
- Faculty Scholarly, Research and Creative Activity Award, Ryerson University, 2013
- Y.P. Lin, M. Mehrvar, Photocatalytic Treatment of an Actual Confectionery Wastewater Using Ag/TiO2/Fe2O3: Optimization of Photocatalytic Reactions Using Surface Response Methodology, external link, opens in new window, Catalysts, 8 (10), 409, 2018.
- D. Hamad, M. Mehrvar, R. Dhib, Photochemical kinetic modeling of degradation of aqueous polyvinyl alcohol in a UV/H2O2 photoreactor, Journal of Polymers and the Environment, 26, 3283–3293, 2018.
- M. Nasirian, M. Mehrvar, Photocatalytic degradation of aqueous Methyl Orange using nitrogen doped TiO2 photocatalyst prepared by novel method of UV assisted thermal synthesis. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 66, 81–93, 2018.
- C.F. Bustillo-Lecompte, M. Mehrvar, Treatment of an actual slaughterhouse wastewater by integration of biological and advanced oxidation processes: modeling, optimization, and cost-effectiveness analysis, Journal of Environmental Management, 182, 651–666, 2016.
- S. Ghafoori, M. Mehrvar, P.K. Chan, A statistical experimental design approach for photochemical degradation of aqueous polyacrylic acid using photo-Fenton-like process, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 110, 492–497, 2014.
- Conference Chair, 3rd International Conference on Recent Trends in Environmental Science and Engineering (RTESE’19), June 10-12, 2019, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Conference Chair, 2nd International Conference on Recent Trends in Environmental Science and Engineering (RTESE’18), June 17-19, 2018, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Chair, International Conference on Recent Trends in Environmental Science and Engineering (RTESE’17), August 23-25, 2017, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Senior Life Member of AIChE
- Member, Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering (CSChE), Chemical Institute of Canada (CIC)