Areas of Academic Interest
Engineering risk and reliability
Infrastructure asset management
Structural integrity of nuclear power plants
|2007||University of Waterloo||PhD|
|Course Code||Course Title|
|CVL609||Civil Engineering Systems|
|CV8107||Infrastructure Asset Management|
|CV8311||Risk and Reliability for Engineers|
Arnold Yuan wants to change the way that civil engineers and municipal leaders view uncertainty. “Obviously, civil engineering is a very cautious discipline because it’s our endowed duty to protect the public safety,” he says. “But we also need to embrace uncertainty in our decision-making as an opportunity that can guide us.”
Yuan is a leader in the emerging field of infrastructure asset management. He works with municipalities to help them adopt a new approach to decisions about renewing, repairing and upgrading infrastructure such as water mains, bridges, pavement and sidewalks. To help municipal leaders see the full picture of an issue, he asks them three questions: What is the problem? What do we need to understand in order to solve it? How can we work together?
Ultimately, Yuan envisions a holistic approach to decision-making that accounts for the entire lifecycle of assets in a new way. “With a systems approach to asset management, we can not only look at the components of a system, but how people interact with it,” he says. “Then we can embrace uncertainty by taking into account both what we know and what we do not know.”
“I love to work side by side with my students to create new knowledge that will help our engineering communities do their jobs better.”
- Yuan XX, Higo E, Pandey MD (2021). Estimation of the value of an inspection and maintenance program: A Bayesian gamma process model, Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 216: 107912 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2021.107912, external link
- Praxedes C, Yuan XX, He XHC (2021). A novel robustness index for progressive collapse analysis of structures considering the full risk spectrum of damage evolution. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2020.1851730, external link
- Yuan, X.-X., Li, Y. (2018). Residual Value Risks of Highway Pavements in Public-Private Partnerships, external link, opens in new window. Journal of Infrastructure Systems, ASCE. Vol. 24, Issue 3 (September 2018).
- Yuan, X.-X., Nemtsov, I. (2018). Local Calibration of the MEPDG Distress and Performance Models for Ontario’s Flexible Roads: Overview, Impacts and Reflection, external link, opens in new window. Transportation Research Record.
- Yuan, X.-X. (2017). Principles and guidelines of deterioration modeling for water and wastewater assets, external link, opens in new window. Infrastructure Asset Management. 4(1): 19-35.
- Member of Editorial Board, ICE Journal of Infrastructure Asset Management
- International Conference of Nuclear Engineering, Track 14 - Risk Assessment and Management, Associate Chair
- Transportation Research Board, Committee AFH20 - Project Delivery Models