Dr. Darko Joksimovic
Areas of Academic Interest
Urban water systems analyses
Green infrastructure monitoring and modelling
You could say that Darko Joksimovic was born into his profession. Growing up in Yugoslavia, both his parents were civil engineers. At one point, they spent two and a half years working on a dam project in Libya. Then a small child, Joksimovic would roam freely around the construction site. “In those days, health and safety wasn’t as strict as it is now,” he says, laughing.
Today, as a Ryerson alumni, Joksimovic shares his parents’ interest in water-related engineering. His research focuses on urban water issues, particularly how cities discharge stormwater and wastewater. “The continuing degradation of water quality as a result of human activity is a very complex issue to address,” he says. “It crosses many disciplines, political boundaries and responsibilities.”
Passionate about continuing the line of water engineers, Joksimovic loves to pass knowledge on to his students. “It is incredibly satisfying to train the next generation of water professionals who will apply their ideas and capability with new technologies to move the industry forward.”
“Given the rate at which urban centres around the world are growing, we need to reinvent the way we manage wastewater and stormwater.”
- Khan, A., B. Orr. and D. Joksimovic. (2019). Defining ‘Flushability’ for Sewer Use. Report prepared for the Municipal Enforcement Sewer Use Group of Canada
- Tiveron, T., S. Gholamreza-Kashi and D. Joksimovic. (2018). An EPA SWMM Integrated Tool for Determining the Suspended Solids Reduction Performance of Bio-retention Cells. Journal of Water Management Modeling. DOI: 10.14796/JWMM.C443
- Nikolic, V. and D. Joksimovic. (2018). Development of Decision Support Tool for Evaluation of Urban Water System Metabolism Efficiency. 13th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, Palermo, Italy.
- Lin Khin, M.M., W.Y. Yan, A. Shaker and D. Joksimovic. (2016). The Use of WorldView-2 Satellite Imagery to Model Urban Drainage System with Low Impact Development (LID) Techniques. Geocarto International, 31(1):92-108. DOI:10.1080/10106049.2015.1041561
- Joksimovic, D., D.A. Savic, G.A. Walters, D. Bixio, K. Katsoufidou and S.G. Yiantsios. (2008). Development and validation of system design principles for water reuse systems. Desalination, 218(1-3): 142-153.
- Senior Editor, Journal of Water Management Modeling
- Reviewer, Urban Water Journal, Taylor & Frances
- Reviewer, Journal of Hydroinformatics, IWA
- Reviewer, Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE
- Reviewer, Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, ASCE
- Reviewer, Water Science and Technology, IWA