Skip to main content


Questions & Answers

You can find answers to most of the general questions concerning Co-operative Education here.

What happens if I don't have a job when the work term starts?

The Co-op Office makes every effort to find employment for all co-op students each term. We continue the hiring process until all students are employed. Should any students not be employed in time to complete a work term then they may continue to search for work for a future work term, return for an academic term, or choose to drop out of the co-op option (not available in Chemical Engineering) and return to the regular stream program.

Important: Students who drop out of co-op will still be required to pay all or a portion of the co-op fee.

What is the deadline to drop out of co-op (optional programs only)?

There is no formal deadline to drop out of the Co-op Option however if you don’t have a job and choose to drop out, you are responsible for at least the first installment of the co-op fee for your program as shown here

If you secure a job using the services of the Co-op Office for more than two co-op terms you are required to pay the entire co-op fee (all installments) as outlined here

To drop out, written notice is required to the Faculty Advisor and the Co-op Office.

Students who choose to withdraw from the co-op option may not be allowed to re-enter the program at a later date.

Do I get health benefits and coverage from my co-op employer?

Other than the basic requirements of coverage required by the Ontario Ministry of Labour, most employers do not provide health care benefits to co-op students. Your health benefits are covered under your own personal health plan or the Ryerson Student Health Plan if you are a subscriber.

We advise any student receiving health coverage under the Ryerson Student Health Plan to notify the Health Plan Office that you require coverage when you are on a work term.

Do I get vacation when I am on a work term?

Other than statutory holidays and any other company designated holidays, co-op students typically do not get vacation during the course of a work term. If you are employed for a work term of 12 months or longer you may be eligible for vacation time according to the company policy.

Can I accept a job offer then decline it for another job offer later?

NO, once you have accepted a job offer verbally or in writing, you are committed to the employer you have accepted the job with. One of the reasons employers hire from co-op programs is the security of getting the student they've chosen for their position. Students should remember that in most cases they will have opportunities to work with a variety of employers over the course of their co-op careers.

Can I change the sequence of my work and academic terms?

Co-op students are expected to follow the sequence of academic and work terms outlined for their program. In exceptional circumstances students may be allowed to change their work term sequence. Students are required to consult with and receive the permission of their Faculty Advisor and Co-op Coordinator before pursuing an alternate sequence of work and academic terms.

How does co-op work with OSAP (financial assistance)?

Current co-op students are required to complete a Continuation of Interest-Free Status form online as soon as they secure a co-op position.

Students who attend Ryerson on government assistance like the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) are eligible to participate in co-op. Over the years many students on OSAP and other forms of financial assistance have participated in co-op and benefited from the experience. Many have been able to reduce or eliminate their debts and loans through income earned during co-op work terms.

Students should remember that OSAP is not meant to supply all the financial assistance needed to meet their educational and living costs. OSAP is there to supplement, not replace, the financial resources that students (and their families, if applicable) are expected to contribute.

The salaries and wages co-op students earn during work terms are considered income that students have to help fund their education. As such, those earnings are taken into account in the assessment process to determine how much financial assistance or OSAP will be provided.

For more information on OSAP and other forms of financial assistance at Ryerson

For more on OSAP

Not applying for OSAP funding but want your loans to be interest-free during your co-op term? Submit a Continuation of Interest-Free Status (CIFS) Application by logging into your OSAP account. If you are and out-of-province loan holder, please submit a Schedule 2 interest-free status form through your NSLSC portal.

GO Transit Discounts

Go Transit offers discounts, to student passengers, off the adult 10-ride ticket price and adult monthly passes. For a Go student ticket or monthly pass to be accepted, a student must carry a valid GO Transit Student ID card and their Ryerson Student ID card. GO Transit Student ID cards are provided free to eligible Ryerson students through collaboration between GO Transit and Ryerson University.

GO Transit Student ID cards are valid from September until October 31st of the following school year.

EFull Time Undergraduate students who are enrolled in a full course load for Fall and Winter terms are eligible for the GO Transit Student ID Discount card.  Please see the eligibility criteria determined by GO Transit at OneCard website

The GO Transit discount is issued to students via Ryerson's One Card ID Card Office.