What's New in Brightspace at Ryerson
Faculty & instructors
Explore the Remote Teaching hub, designed to help faculty and instructors prepare their courses for fall remote delivery.
Explore the Continuity of Learning Guide, which provides instructions on how to join online classes and adapt to new learning processes while away from campus.
At the end of February, Brightspace will introduce a new "Accommodations" feature in the Classlist tool that will allow instructors to set quiz accommodations for their students.
This new feature sets accommodations on a per-student basis, that will be applied to all quiz activities in the course. This is in addition to the existing "Special Access" feature (in both Quizzes and Assignments) that allows instructors to change access settings for individual assessments.
Quiz-specific Special Access settings can be used to override accommodations, if required.
The quiz accommodations will include:
- Modified time limit, either as a multiplier of the original quiz time (i.e. 1.5 times) or as a set amount of added time (i.e. 30 minutes)
- Always allow right-click during a quiz
In our Brightspace update at the end of December 2020, the multiple choice quiz question type was updated. This update removed the option to display question answer options horizontally.
As our students are increasingly accessing Brightspace using a variety of devices (desktop computers, smart phones, tablets), it is important to consider the limited screen space they may be working with.
Preventing the horizontal layout of question answer options may help to ensure our quiz questions can be accessed from a larger variety of devices.
We always recommend that you use the most recent version of a reliable web browser, such as Google Chrome, external link, opens in new window or Mozilla Firefox, external link, opens in new window to access D2L Brightspace.
In August 2020, Microsoft announced that the non-Chromium based Microsoft Edge Legacy, external link will reach its End of Life in March 2021. This means that after March 9th, 2021, Edge Legacy is no longer a supported browser by Microsoft and will not receive any more security fixes or updates.
For Legacy Edge users only, instead of the traditional Browser Check pop-up, Brightspace are presenting users with a warning banner notifying them that browser is no longer supported by Microsoft, linking to Microsoft’s EoL announcement.
Find out which Brightspace tutorials have been popular during this shift to remote teaching.
Here is a collection of new documents and updated documents related to the use of D2L Brightspace at Ryerson University.
Due to the changing nature of our teaching and learning practice, there are many many resources being developed and adapted daily. We'll do our best to add links here!
Updates to this website (courses@ryerson)
- [NEW!] Reweight final grades
- [NEW!] Respondus LockDown Browser (LDB)
- [NEW!] Virtual proctoring of handwritten exams using Proctortrack
- [NEW!] Deliver self-guided training modules using Brightspace
- [Updated] Copy content from one shell to another
- [Updated] Prepare to take a quiz
Other great resources developed for Ryerson:
- Remote Teaching (Centre for Excellence in Learning & Teaching)
- Virtual Proctoring (Centre for Excellence in Learning & Teaching)
- google docCreate quiz questions using a spreadsheet (.csv), external link [Google Doc]
- google docCreate a two-part exam to mix simple and complex questions, external link [Google Doc]
- google docCreate section-specific discussion topics, external link [Google Doc]
View the latest video tutorials and webinars
Find all of our D2L Brightspace video tutorials and webinars on our Brightspace Ryecast page, opens in new window.