What's New in Brightspace at Ryerson
December 4 update: This issue has now been resolved for people using most web browsers. Please continue to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox for the best experience with D2L Brightspace.
We have received reports of students experiencing issues while taking a D2L Brightspace quiz. In some cases, they describe the quiz as being "frozen", or find that the "Next Page" button appears to be greyed out and unclickable. They are unable to progress through the quiz.
Ryerson's Brightspace support team has been investigating, and have been in regular communication with D2L regarding this issue.
While we await a fix, we have provided some tips below that may help to minimize the problems.
What is causing this issue?
The following combination of criteria trigger this problem:
- The "prohibit backtracking" setting is enabled for the quiz
- Clicking the "Next Page" button too quickly after answering a question (waiting for the "Saved" confirmation for each answer mitigates this issue).
- The student's user account setting to display dialog windows is set to display as "pop-ups" (this is the default setting for all users).
If you are comfortable doing so, we recommend disabling the "prohibit backtracking" setting in your quiz. The issue only appears when this is enabled.
If you are not comfortable disabling that setting, we can recommend the following:
- set the end date of your quiz to be the same as the due date, to make it easier for students to re-enter the quiz if they encounter the problem
Communication to students
Communication with your students could be key to mitigating this issue. Please see the student section of this announcement for the link to our quiz preparation page for students.
Information can be included in the quiz description, or even in the header or footer of each quiz page.
Before you take a quiz
Before starting a quiz, students can take some steps to prepare that can help to prevent disruptions.
This issue, in particular, can be greatly mitigated by making a change to your user account settings:
- in your Brightspace account settings, set your Dialog Setting to "dialogs" (instead of "pop-ups").
Please see the quiz preparation page for a full list of preparation steps and suggestions for what to do if you encounter problems.
This page is updated regularly, as our investigations with D2L provide more insight to the problem. It may be useful to check this page before each quiz, to see if there are any updates.
If you can't click the "Next Page" button...
December 4 update: This issue has now been resolved for people using most web browsers. Please continue to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox for the best experience with D2L Brightspace. Safari users may continue to experience this problem.
There are a couple of workarounds that you can try, if you find that the "Next Page" button is not clickable (and you aren't on the final page).
If the "next" button appears greyed out:
- If you have not passed the quiz availability end date and time for the quiz, you can try to click the "refresh" button in your browser. This will reload the page, and the "next page" button should be clickable. (Please do not do this if the availability of the quiz has passed, as you will not be able to return to the quiz ).
- If you think you may have passed the end of the quiz availability, you can consider clicking the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page, BUT do not click the second "Submit" button on the next page. Instead, click the "Back to Questions" button to return to the page where you experienced the issue.
To prevent this from happening in subsequent questions:
- SLOW DOWN! This problem seems to happen if you click too quickly after answering a question. Wait until you see the text "Saving" change to "Saved"... then proceed to the next question.
Faculty & instructors
Explore the Remote Teaching hub, designed to help faculty and instructors prepare their courses for fall remote delivery.
Explore the Continuity of Learning Guide, which provides instructions on how to join online classes and adapt to new learning processes while away from campus.
Together with our colleagues in the Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, we are offering a variety of webinars on strategies for teaching remotely.
Many of these sessions include insights on the use of D2L Brightspace.
Try some sample Brightspace content as a student, to get ideas for ways to approach your own course.
These courses are available for anyone to try out, using the "Discover" feature in D2L Brightspace.
- Brightspace Basics for instructors ("D2L101") - learn how to request a course shell and complete the initial setup steps through this short training course! This course provides some useful samples of delivering content, assessments and activities through Brightspace.
- Brightspace sample course - intended to provide students with a way to try a sample quiz before using Brightspace quizzes to complete a real test or exam.
We always recommend that you use the most recent version of a reliable web browser, such as Google Chrome, external link, opens in new window or Mozilla Firefox, external link, opens in new window to access D2L Brightspace.
As of August 2019, if users attempt to access Brightspace Learning Environment using Internet Explorer, an unsupported page appears. The unsupported page contains links to download supported browsers and a link to the Community End of Life communication. Users cannot log in to Brightspace Learning Environment using any version of Internet Explorer.
Find out which Brightspace tutorials have been popular during this shift to remote teaching.
Here is a collection of new documents and updated documents related to the use of D2L Brightspace at Ryerson University.
Due to the changing nature of our teaching and learning practice, there are many many resources being developed and adapted daily. We'll do our best to add links here!
Updates to this website (courses@ryerson)
- [NEW!] Resources for teaching
- [NEW!] Resources for learning
- [NEW!] Reweight final grades
- [NEW!] Respondus LockDown Browser (LDB)
- [NEW!] Virtual proctoring of handwritten exams using Proctortrack
- [NEW!] Deliver self-guided training modules using Brightspace
- [Updated] Copy content from one shell to another
- [Updated] Prepare to take a quiz
Other great resources developed for Ryerson:
- Remote Teaching (Centre for Excellence in Learning & Teaching)
- Virtual Proctoring (Centre for Excellence in Learning & Teaching)
- google docCreate quiz questions using a spreadsheet (.csv), external link [Google Doc]
- google docCreate a two-part exam to mix simple and complex questions, external link [Google Doc]
- google docCreate section-specific discussion topics, external link [Google Doc]
View the latest video tutorials and webinars
Find all of our D2L Brightspace video tutorials and webinars on our Brightspace Ryecast page, opens in new window.