Enable Turnitin Feedback Studio® for assignments
FAQ for Turnitin
If I allow an unlimited number of submissions for my assignment folder, will the originality be checked against previous submissions?
If a student uploads a new submission after previously submitting a file to the assignment, the new submission will not be checked against any previous submission. This means the new submission will not receive an originality report score of 100%. This is true whether or not the file name is different, or if the assignment is submitted before or after the due date.
How do students view any Feedback Studio comments in Turnitin?
Students can access their markup document from the Progress or Assignments tools in D2L. Full instructions for students on accessing Feedback Studio comments are available here.
Why are students able to see their Feedback Studio comments before the post date for release?
If you have enabled Grademark® for your assignment submission folder, students will be able to view their submission in Turnitin by clicking on the Originality Score. From there, they can click on Feedback Studio in Turnitin and potentially see your comments prematurely. To avoid this, uncheck "Enable Grademark® for this folder" until you are ready to release feedback.
Can I use Turnitin for text submission assignments?
At this time, we do not recommend using Turnitin for a text submission assignment. The assignment submissions will not display as expected in Turnitin Feedback Studio. If you wish to use Turnitin, please use a file-based submission instead.
Enable Turnitin® Feedback Studio for assignments
You can enable Turnitin Feedback Studio while creating a new (or editing an existing) assignment.
More options in Turnitin
View originality report in Turnitin Feedback Studio®
- When viewing submissions within an assignment, click on the name of the assignment to open the file in the document viewer.
Click Markup Document. This will open the file in Turnitin.
- Here, you can view the originality report and score.
Note: As long as you have set Transfer to Automatically sync grades as Draft in Brightspace in your Turnitin settings, the editable grade box in the top right corner of Turnitin connected back to the assignment. When you initially grade the student's submission the grade will be transferred to the score field on the Evaluate screen in Brightspace, but will still need to be published to appear in Grades.
However, if you return to Turnitin and change the score in the top right corner of the screen, you will need to transfer the grade.
If you change a score in Turnitin...
If your Turnitin settings are set to Automatically sync grades as Draft in Brightspace, when you grade assignments in the Turnitin interface, the marks uploaded in the Markup area will automatically associate to the grades in the assignment submission and will be saved in Draft mode.
However, if you return to Turnitin Feedback Studio and change a grade, you will need to use this workaround to update the Turnitin grades in the assignment.
Note: This only applies to grades entered in Markup, not any comments or annotations. Students will still be able to see comments in Turnitin Feedback Studio.
- From the assignment, click on the name of the first submission.
- Click on Back to User Submissions.
- Under Turnitin Feedback Studio, click Use this score.
- The score will adjust in the Evaluation section of the assignment.
- Click either Publish to post the grades for students to see or click Save as Draft to work and publish later.
- Click Next Student and repeat.
- You can also confirm whether the scores were successfully published to Grades. In your course, go to Grades > Enter Grades. If necessary, use the arrows to navigate to the appropriate grade column, and scroll to see if there are grades entered for your students.
If you do not see grades, here are some settings to check:
- In your course, go to Assessment > Assignments.
- Click on the downward-facing arrow beside the assignment name, and click on Edit Submission Folder.
- On the Properties tab, confirm that the Grade Item is set to the appropriate grade item from your gradebook. If you need to update this (or create a new grade item), make sure to save when you are done.