Create and modify chat rooms
The chat tool
General chats exist within course sections, and you can only access general chats from within the section in which they are created. All students in the section have access to the general chat. You can create multiple chats for the same section, such as "Midterm Review" and "Final Review." It is a good idea to enter a description to help students identify the chat, since they might have access to other chats with similar names.
Note: If you do not see Chat in the top navigation, under Communication, please review our tutorial to learn how to enable course tools.
General chats exist within specific org units and are only accessible from the org unit in which they are created.
Before creating a general chat, make sure to access the Chat tool from the appropriate org unit homepage. For example, if you want to add a chat to a course offering, click Chat on that course's navigation bar.
All users in the org unit have access to the general chat. You can create multiple chats for the same org unit, such as "Midterm Review" and "Final Review."
- To access the Chat Room feature, click Communication > Chat from the top navigation bar.
- On the Chat List page, click New Chat.
- Enter a Title.
- Click General Chat.
- Enter a Description of the chat.
- Click Create.
- On the Chat List page, click Edit from the context menu of the chat you want to modify. Make your changes and click Save.
- On the Chat List page, click Delete from the context menu of the chat you want to permanently delete. Confirm your decision in the popup dialogue box.